• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Max Number of remote stored backups seems to be '1'

philglau

New Pleskian
In my Backup Manager schedule settings I'm doing daily backups and I've set

"Maximum number of full backup files to store (including both scheduled and manual backups)" to be 5

And have deselected 'incremental backups', meaning I want each back up to be a full backup.

In /var/lib/psa/dump I can see the files accumulating for each day as I would expect.

However I'm also remote storing to DropBox and in the DropBox folder I see only one file stored in the "my_server.com" directory even after running multiple days. It is named "server.my_server.com.tar" and has an accompanying "server.my_server.com.tar.jsgon" file.

However it seems like backup Manager is overwriting all previous versions rather than keeping '5' instances as requested. I've opened the .tar file and the enclosed .tgz files show only the most recent backup date that mirrors what is in my /var/lib/pas/dump directory. In other words, it seems like Backup Manager is uploading "server.my_server.com.tar" each time it runs and thus overwriting the previous version??"

This seems unexpected to me. I would have though that the DropBox stored backups would be called something like "2103240000_server.my_server.com.tar", "2103230000_server.my_server.com.tar", etc. where the leading numbers reference the date/time as per Plesk's nomenclature.

Am I missing something?? Is there a way to maintain 5 rolling full backups on a remote server? (I'm going to assume it works the same on DropBox remote as it would with any of the other cloud options.)

Server Details:
Ubuntu 20.4
Plesk Web Admin License
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.34

In my Backup Manager schedule settings I'm doing daily backups and I've set

"Maximum number of full backup files to store (including both scheduled and manual backups)" to be 5

And have deselected 'incremental backups', meaning I want each back up to be a full backup.

In /var/lib/psa/dump I can see the files accumulating for each day as I would expect.

However I'm also remote storing to DropBox and in the DropBox folder I see only one file stored in the "my_server.com" directory even after running multiple days. It is named "server.my_server.com.tar" and has an accompanying "server.my_server.com.tar.jsgon" file.

However it seems like backup Manager is overwriting all previous versions rather than keeping '5' instances as requested. I've opened the .tar file and the enclosed .tgz files show only the most recent backup date that mirrors what is in my /var/lib/pas/dump directory. In other words, it seems like Backup Manager is uploading "server.my_server.com.tar" each time it runs and thus overwriting the previous version??"

This seems unexpected to me. I would have though that the DropBox stored backups would be called something like "2103240000_server.my_server.com.tar", "2103230000_server.my_server.com.tar", etc. where the leading numbers reference the date/time as per Plesk's nomenclature.

Am I missing something?? Is there a way to maintain 5 rolling full backups on a remote server? (I'm going to assume it works the same on DropBox remote as it would with any of the other cloud options.)

Server Details:
Ubuntu 20.4
Plesk Web Admin License
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.34
Hope this helps!
As a rule, Dropbox retains versions of files that are uploaded. If you tap on the three dots to right of the file and choose history, you should probably see various versions of the file, and the date they were uploaded. I thought the same as you, but seeing as Dropbox retains versions, it's not a biggie. And (depending on your plan) they keep them for 180 days.

Back