• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Max size of received mails

vaelu

Basic Pleskian
Hello Pleskians

We had a customer which complained about that he couldn't receive an email. The error was . Our server wide configuration for max email size is 10MB (Tools & Settings > Mail server settings > Maximum message size).

Of course, we told the customer that an email should not be bigger than 2MB and that our limit (10MB) is already really high. But I think there is a bug in Plesk or at least a fault in the documentation.
The documentation of this max size (Configuring Server-Wide Mail Settings) says "If you want to limit the size of an email message that can be sent through your server, type the required value in kilobytes into the Maximum message size box."

When I read this, I think that's the limit for sending messages from the server. In this article from Plesk, the command postconf -e message_size_limit= is used. But when I change the setting in Tools & Settings, it changes the message_size_limit (checked with postconf | grep message_size_limit).

What do you guys think of this? What is your recommended practice for this problem? And what's the recommended limit? Is it possible to set a higher limit for receiving messages than sending?

Best regards

Back