• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question migrate email accounts

avihai gabai

New Pleskian
Hello, I need to transfer my email accounts from one storage to another. In the previous storage I was in the Plesk system and I can't find the email folder there. In CPanel it is in a folder called Mail. I saw answers here in the forum that it is in a folder called var but I can't find it in my storage either, what else can be done?

By default, Plesk stores all mailboxes in the directory /var/qmail/mailnames/ :

# cat /etc/psa/psa.conf | grep PLESK_MAILNAMES_D
PLESK_MAILNAMES_D /var/qmail/mailnames

Hi, thanks for the reply. I already mentioned that I don't have a folder named Var.. I will attach a screenshot of the folders in storage
צילום מסך 2022-10-11 ב-22.27.29.jpg

You have to login as root on this server. At the moment, you are logged in as yagoecco account.

Plesk and cPanel both use a different approach on where they store email messages. cPanel stores email messages in the users home directory, which allows you access these messages via FTP for example.

Plesk on the other hand stores email messages outside the users home directory. Which means a user cannot access the directory. That's a security advantage.

So only administrators can access the mail directory. Which is located at /var/qmail/mailnames/.

However Plesk has a very useful extension for migration mailboxes from one server to another using IMAP. Which is explained in more detail here: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...-mailbox-data-between-email-accounts-in-Plesk

Hi, thank you very much for your help. The server I'm on is a shared server, so the support there told me they couldn't bring me files from the folder. Also regarding extensions, I don't see that I have the option to install the website import. He told me to try to use this Mailbox Imapsync Online but I have no idea what to do with it..

If you don't know if you have root access, you probably don't have it. Contact your server administrator.
Do you mean this account? My server's admin is an idiot and I'm in this mess because he doesn't have enough answers for me. That's why I need your help guys to get rid of him once and for all
צילום מסך 2022-10-12 ב-15.14.02.png

Ok, so is there another way for me to achieve this?
That's a bit out of the scoop of the forum imo. You'll have to (re)search your options. First thing that comes to my mind would be to just use a email client (e.g Thunderbird) to just drag and drop email messages from one mailbox to another. Although that might not be a efficient if you have a huge amount of messages.

Roundcube webmail also has an import/export function. Although I think it's limited to 50 (or was it 20?) messages per upload.

If it could be used for me in the process? Mailbox Imapsync Online
How do I use it?
I am not familiair with this service. Again, you'll have do your own research on how this service works. Perhaps your hosting provider can assist you with more details. I'd be cautious with any third party service, as they (most likely) will have access to your email.

Okay.. one last question, is it possible for me to make a full backup of the files and then I can find the email folder in it? Sorry to bother you, I'm just really helpless

Back