• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Migrating 7.5 to 10.1

S

subzero

Hello everyone,
Im trying to migrate from a Windows Server 2003 with Plesk Panel 7.5 to a new server machine with Windows Web Server 2008 SP2 and Plesk 10.1.

I tried to migrate using Migration Manager from panel 10.1, i downloaded the migration agent, installed on the source machine but when triying to migrate it gives error: "The Agent is older than the panel..etc" (sounds strange because i downloaded the agent from the 10.1 panel by clicking on synchronize button in the migration manager tool page, so how can it be older? all ports are opened (windows share, agent etc...) but still giving that error).

So i decided to try doing the migration by backup and restore manually.
I backed up all data in Plesk 7.5 on the old server and transfered the backup file on the local hd of the new server, but when i try to upload the backup file in the new Plesk 10.1 it gives me error: "404.13 Request filtering denied request" because the file size is too big (i thought) 518MB. i tried to change MaxAllowedContentLenght string in the Applicationhost.config file but still having same error.
So i tryied to workaround this and i decided to backup and restore smaller backup files, and the web server didn't return that error any more, so the upload has gone well but when restoring the data it outputs: "Restore succeded with some warnings", but if i go to domains page, there's not any domain restored.

Looking on the log file here is the output:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<execution-result status="success"><object name="" type="server"><message code="NotAProperSubdomain" severity="error"><context>plesk::DnsRecordDeployer::getSubDomain</context><file>.\dns_deployer.cpp</file><line>184</line><text> is not a proper subdomain of &lt;domain&gt;</text></message><message code="ExecCmd::ExFailed" severity="error"><context>plesk::ExecCmd::reportError</context><file>.\ExecCmd.cpp</file><line>65</line><text>Execution of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\bin\server_pref.exe" --set-iis-app-pool-settings -iis-app-pool-mode mixed -cpu-usage-state "" failed with return code 1.
Stderr is

Warning: array_key_exists() [&lt;a href='function.array-key-exists'&gt;function.array-key-exists&lt;/a&gt;]: The second argument should be either an array or an object in C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\admin\plib\api-common\cuServerPrefs.php on line 517

Warning: array_key_exists() [&lt;a href='function.array-key-exists'&gt;function.array-key-exists&lt;/a&gt;]: The second argument should be either an array or an object in C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\admin\plib\api-common\cuServerPrefs.php on line 524
Error(s) in command line options: Wrong syntax for command's '-cpu-usage-state' parameter

</text></message></object></execution-result>

Reading in the web i found some documentations talking about different backup file formats for new versions of Plesk, and to solve i have to convert the backup files with "pre9-backup-convert.exe" tool. The problem is that i cannot find that tool in Plesk 10.1 Plesk/bin/ directory.

So.... how can i migrate all data from 7.5 to 10.1? what's the best way to do this?
I was thinkin about downloading trial version of Plesk 9 to use the converting tool there, but i dont know if it's possible.
I need some help for going on the right direction, thank you in advance.

Sorry for my bad english.

Best regards.

Only migration from Plesk 7.5.6 version to Windows-based Parallels Plesk Panel 10.0 or later is supported - http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PP10/10.1.1/Doc/en-US/online/plesk-migration-guide/63279.htm

That's exactly what im trying to do. Migrating from 7.5.6 to 10.1

I was able to restore backed up data from a plesk 7.5.6 .ipa converted backup using first pre9-backup-convert tool and then pre10-backup-convert tool. The restore goes well but the DB are missing. Any suggestion on the way to import databases? Why migration manager/agent is not working?

If I correctly understood you mean client's databases? In that case you can backup then with phpMyAdmin, for example and then create on new server and restore dumps.

Hello Subzero

Hello everyone,
Im trying to migrate from a Windows Server 2003 with Plesk Panel 7.5 to a new server machine with Windows Web Server 2008 SP2 and Plesk 10.1.

I tried to migrate using Migration Manager from panel 10.1, i downloaded the migration agent, installed on the source machine but when triying to migrate it gives error: "The Agent is older than the panel..etc" (sounds strange because i downloaded the agent from the 10.1 panel by clicking on synchronize button in the migration manager tool page, so how can it be older? all ports are opened (windows share, agent etc...) but still giving that error).

So i decided to try doing the migration by backup and restore manually.
I backed up all data in Plesk 7.5 on the old server and transfered the backup file on the local hd of the new server, but when i try to upload the backup file in the new Plesk 10.1 it gives me error: "404.13 Request filtering denied request" because the file size is too big (i thought) 518MB. i tried to change MaxAllowedContentLenght string in the Applicationhost.config file but still having same error.
So i tryied to workaround this and i decided to backup and restore smaller backup files, and the web server didn't return that error any more, so the upload has gone well but when restoring the data it outputs: "Restore succeded with some warnings", but if i go to domains page, there's not any domain restored.

Looking on the log file here is the output:

Reading in the web i found some documentations talking about different backup file formats for new versions of Plesk, and to solve i have to convert the backup files with "pre9-backup-convert.exe" tool. The problem is that i cannot find that tool in Plesk 10.1 Plesk/bin/ directory.

So.... how can i migrate all data from 7.5 to 10.1? what's the best way to do this?
I was thinkin about downloading trial version of Plesk 9 to use the converting tool there, but i dont know if it's possible.
I need some help for going on the right direction, thank you in advance.

Sorry for my bad english.

Best regards.

Please try to install this migration agent on source plesk7.5 server:

http://autoinstall-win.pp.parallels...Microsoft-2003-i386/plesk-migration-agent.msi

Please try that way. If you need to migrate small accounts this should work. I tried to migrate whole server with no luck - migration dump was over 40Gb and plesk10 tools failed to convert so big file stating that there is an error in it.

Please try the following way as an alternative:

1. create psa dump of a every account on the source server. Let's say you'll get a bunch of files client1.psa, client2.psa etc
2. upload them to target server (ftp. whatever) into c:\backup7 folder
3. Create folder for plesk9 backups and for plesk10 version backups:

mkdir c:\backup9
mkdir c:\backup10

4. Convert each client*.psa file into plesk9 version dump:

"c:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\admin\bin\pre9-backup-convert.exe" --source="c:\backup7\client1.psa" --destination="d:\Backupsv9"

You'll get c:\backup9\clients\client1 folder with xml file inside and converted dumps there

5. Convert plesk9 backup dump into plesk10 backup dump:

mkdir "c:\backup10\client1
"c:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\admin\bin\pre10-backup-convert.exe" --convert -source "c:\backup9\clients\client1\converted_client1_info_1102251449.xml" -destination "c:\backup10\client1"

You'll get c:\backup10\client1\converted_client1_info_1102251449.xml file (numbers and names may differ)

6. Open plesk10 panel, find and open Migration manager, start new migration, choose Transfer data already processed by the migration agent and located on the local host". The please input the path to the xml description of the dump in backup10 folder you just created: c:\backup10\client1\converted_client1_info_1102251449.xml
Migration process will start, you'll be asked to map IPs, map DB servers and after the conflict resolution run 3 times and found no more conflicts your dump will be restored.

Detailed manual you'll get here:

http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PPP9/Doc/en-US/plesk-9.2-backup-cli-guide.pdf

It is for plesk9, plesk10 has additional backup conversion utility, but the main idea of the process remains the same.

Please check my experience in the migration described here: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=108949
Hope it helps

Thanks
MSmart

Hello Subzero

Please try to install this migration agent on source plesk7.5 server:

http://autoinstall-win.pp.parallels...Microsoft-2003-i386/plesk-migration-agent.msi

Please try that way. If you need to migrate small accounts this should work. I tried to migrate whole server with no luck - migration dump was over 40Gb and plesk10 tools failed to convert so big file stating that there is an error in it.

Please try the following way as an alternative:

1. create psa dump of a every account on the source server. Let's say you'll get a bunch of files client1.psa, client2.psa etc
2. upload them to target server (ftp. whatever) into c:\backup7 folder
3. Create folder for plesk9 backups and for plesk10 version backups:

mkdir c:\backup9
mkdir c:\backup10

4. Convert each client*.psa file into plesk9 version dump:

"c:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\admin\bin\pre9-backup-convert.exe" --source="c:\backup7\client1.psa" --destination="d:\Backupsv9"

You'll get c:\backup9\clients\client1 folder with xml file inside and converted dumps there

5. Convert plesk9 backup dump into plesk10 backup dump:

mkdir "c:\backup10\client1
"c:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\admin\bin\pre10-backup-convert.exe" --convert -source "c:\backup9\clients\client1\converted_client1_info_1102251449.xml" -destination "c:\backup10\client1"

You'll get c:\backup10\client1\converted_client1_info_1102251449.xml file (numbers and names may differ)

6. Open plesk10 panel, find and open Migration manager, start new migration, choose Transfer data already processed by the migration agent and located on the local host". The please input the path to the xml description of the dump in backup10 folder you just created: c:\backup10\client1\converted_client1_info_1102251449.xml
Migration process will start, you'll be asked to map IPs, map DB servers and after the conflict resolution run 3 times and found no more conflicts your dump will be restored.

Detailed manual you'll get here:

http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PPP9/Doc/en-US/plesk-9.2-backup-cli-guide.pdf

It is for plesk9, plesk10 has additional backup conversion utility, but the main idea of the process remains the same.

Please check my experience in the migration described here: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=108949
Hope it helps

Thanks
MSmart

Thanks for your help!

I tryed to follow your instructions, converting all backups firt to 9 and then to 10., but i got an error when trying to restore using migration manager and "transfer already processed data..etc" option. The output error is:

Error: Runtime error in pmmcli:
type 'exceptions.WindowsError' [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Parallels\\Plesk\\PMM\\rsessions\\20110314111718484\\restore.xml.tmp'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\admin\share\pmmcli\pmmcli.py", line 2052, in main
data_action_response, errcode_response, error_message = actions.get(sys.argv[1][2:])(parameters)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\admin\share\pmmcli\pmmcli.py", line 1897, in restore
return ActionRunner(RestoreAction, restore_task_specification, parameters).doActivity()
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\admin\share\pmmcli\pmmcli.py", line 150, in doActivity
result = self.processor.doActivity()
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\admin\share\pmmcli\pmmcli.py", line 733, in doActivity
session.fixGuids()
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\admin\share\pmmcli\pmmcli_session.py", line 322, in fixGuids
os.unlink(restore_specification_out)
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Parallels\\Plesk\\PMM\\rsessions\\20110314111718484\\restore.xml.tmp'

Any suggestion?

Migration Agent is not working even with the converted backups, is not able to connect to server, even if they are in the same LAN subnet and all firewall rules are "allow".

When i convert backups file from .psa format to the new one (directory with .xml file) if i select the XML file inside the "client" directory it gives back the error i posted in the thread above. The only way to restore it is pointing the backup manager "restore tool" at the XML file in the MAIN directory (not client's one) of the converted backup.

In this way i was able to import all domains, except for the sites based on MSSQL (MySQL is fine). In fact, also if i try to manually "add database" from the Server tools page, there's no listed the MSSQL as an option in the drop down menu. (there's only MySQL).
I can see that in the "License Management" tool, i have: "MSSQL support off". The question is, do i have to buy the "Power Pack Bundle addon" for using MSSQL? or there's a way to use it for free? (i have free MSSQL express, cant believe im forced to buy all the package, i need only MSSQL databases support, on a MSSQL free edition!!).

Migration Agent is not working even with the converted backups, is not able to connect to server, even if they are in the same LAN subnet and all firewall rules are "allow".

When i convert backups file from .psa format to the new one (directory with .xml file) if i select the XML file inside the "client" directory it gives back the error i posted in the thread above. The only way to restore it is pointing the backup manager "restore tool" at the XML file in the MAIN directory (not client's one) of the converted backup.

In this way i was able to import all domains, except for the sites based on MSSQL (MySQL is fine). In fact, also if i try to manually "add database" from the Server tools page, there's no listed the MSSQL as an option in the drop down menu. (there's only MySQL).
I can see that in the "License Management" tool, i have: "MSSQL support off". The question is, do i have to buy the "Power Pack Bundle addon" for using MSSQL? or there's a way to use it for free? (i have free MSSQL express, cant believe im forced to buy all the package, i need only MSSQL databases support, on a MSSQL free edition!!).

I recommend you to order a new server with windows 2008 R2 x64, install fresh plesk 10 there, order a trial plesk license (20 days), install mssql server 2008 there and start the migratation from the beginning.

The errors you are experiencing show that something is really wrong in your system.

Thanks
MSmart

Thank you for your answers, i will setup a new machine and try it all over again.

Do you know if the support for MSSQL server (i mean in: "license management" off/on) is needed for using MSSQL databases? Is it a "must have" for using MS SQL or i can use that type of DBs in plesk without upgrading the license?

Thank you for your answers, i will setup a new machine and try it all over again.

Do you know if the support for MSSQL server (i mean in: "license management" off/on) is needed for using MSSQL databases? Is it a "must have" for using MS SQL or i can use that type of DBs in plesk without upgrading the license?

If you want to provide mssql database management to your customers you need to order appropriate plesk license with mssql on. For test purposes you may use trial license -it has all featured turned on for 20 days.

But if you have several applications that are needed to connect to mssql and you created mssql databases and logins manually then nothing can go wrong. You can live without mssql feature then

Thanks

When trying to do a fresh install of plesk panel 10.1 on a new machine, im not able to complete installation, im receiving this error. Any suggestion?

Error:
Download del file in corso PANEL-WIN_10.1.1/dist-msi-Microsoft-2003-i386/mailenable.exe: 100% completato.
Error: La somma di controllo di MD5 del file C:\cc7cc244ab4cc3e44b0f22f67b285163\parallels\PANEL-WIN_10.1.1\dist-msi-Microsoft-2003-i386\mailenable.exe non corrisponde al valore specificato nel file di configurazione.

It's italian, it's saying something like: md5 match failed, do not match the value in the configuration file.
I removed all temp files and tryied again over and over but always same result.

Back