• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Migrating from Linux to Windows - PHP performance hit?

M

marsupillami

Currently I have about 10 sites, all of them PHP/MySQL, running on a Linux box with Plesk 7.5. Right now, i need ASP/MSSQL support, so I thought about migrating to Windows 2003 Server + Plesk 7.5 for Windows. Do you think i will notice a performance hit in PHP websites?

Also, anybody knows if I have to get a MS SQL Server 2000 license in order to run a MSSQL database in one website?

Thank you!

marsupillami,

When you configure PHP, configure it to run as an ISAPI. This will allow it to run as fast as possible as it will run within the IIS worker process instead of as a seperate task. I would also recommend running each site in a dedicated application pool for stability.

Jess

IF you would like to have full mssql you have to buy one from microsoft, because plesk provides only with MSDE (limited version of mssql).

Hum.. since MSDE only allows up to 25 concurrent connections, I will need to buy a license for SQL Server..., thankx botsman

jusmon, plesk installs php by itself, doesn´t it? If i choose not to install via Installer, and install it manually as an ISAPI module, will it work the way it should with PlesK?

Thank You ;)

Plesk will integrate with MSSQL and if you're providing hosting service you'll need to sign up for the SPLA you can get details http://www.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/hosters.mspx I believe.

Yes Plesks installs PHP and gives the option to run it as an ISAPI, I read another thread here that the ISAPI option didn't work in Plesk and I've honestly not used it within Plesk myself, I've always made the change manually in IIS on a server with a different control panel.

Also there's a new version of MSSQL called workgroup edition that you can license through the SPLA and it's supposed to be about 1/3rd the cost of a regular SPLA SQL CPU license and the limitations on it are not as strict as with MSDE.

Jess

So, do I have to license through SPLA or can I just buy the software licenses as normally done? Is that SPLA a requirement or just another kind of license that allows an hoster to have a better solution?

My understanding is that if you offer commercial hosting on a server you have to use SPLA but please I'm not microsoft expert, please check the url I sent it should explain things.

Jess

Back