• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Migration for Plesk 12.5 from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04

zimmy6996

New Pleskian
Hey all, I'm trying to get some help for the "easiest" way to migrate from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04. Based on the age of the existing system, I feel the best option for me is to stand up a new VM with 14.04, and backup/restore the data from the old system to the new system.

What I would "ideally" like to do is stand up a new 14.04 system with the exact same IP's bound to it as the existing 12.04 system, and then somehow install/restore Plesk 12.5 and bring everything back online.

I can take a backup, and shut the existing box down for a period of time overnight to complete this, so both systems don't need to be up at the same time.

Concerns are the actual restore, so that everything still looks the same and works. And licensing. Will the backup capture the license, or do I need to ask for a new one? Is the CLI the best way to complete backup/restore, or should I use the GUI.

Basically, I don't think I want to use the migrator, because it will require new IP's, and i would rather just stand it back up on 14.04 with the same IPs.

Is this a fairly easy task, or is it going to be difficult? Any help would be appreciated.

Back