• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mirroring w/ 2 servers - MySQL multimaster replication and Plesk

B

blank

I need to setup a "mirroring" system for our main web server (a secondary server that mirrors the main server). In theory I see no problems. Use rsync for /var/www/vhosts and multimaster replication for MySQL, very straightforward.

But... when factoring in Plesk the situation comes more complex (?).
1- Does anyone have idea what happens to Plesk with multimaster replication ("psa" db...)?
2- Since the "psa" database is stored on the same database server that will be replicated, what happens to the 2ndary server i.e. does Plesk play nicely if the "psa" database is replicated to 2nd server?
3- What about licensing? Does the Plesk license have something in the "psa" database as well which would then screw up licensing on the 2ndary server?

I am sure there are many people here using similar system in a load-balancing scenario, no? Any problems with Plesk? Note that shared storage such as iSCSI and separate DB server are not feasible at the moment due to budget constraints.. The mirroring does not need to be real-time like in load-balancing so I choose to go with rsync "often enough".

-V

Paralles Plesk Panel does not offer any solution on creating a Mirrored Server. However you can use third party tools for creating a Mirrored Server. And note that you will need to have two licenses of Parallels Plesk Panel for running both the servers simultaneously.

Yes I know it does not offer mirroring capabilities. The third-party solutions you refer to might be rsync+mysql multimaster replication for example, I guess.

But the question was, what will happen if the "psa" database is replicated between 2 Plesk servers? Problems?

I am aware of the license requirement, but with the "psa" database being replicated does this make a conflict with licensing? As there are 2 different licenses on the servers but the "psa" database would be identical (since it is replicated).

Now we are working on mirroring possibility for Plesk. However it was not tested yet and any your experience would be valuable for us. I can assume only theoretically that with psa database replication with rsync should not be problems. But these replications should be performed very often for saving all changes in master database. Do you have any other idea how changes can be replicated immediately?
Also as far as I know there is no any mentions about license in psa database. Licenses are stored in /etc/sw/keys/ directory.
You can look at this thread How to run Plesk in a cluster environment also. I think it can be useful for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am planning this scenario strictly for failover, not load balancing so file system replication should not be too big issue.

I will try this with some virtual machines soon and will keep you posted.

Yes, using Virtuozzo failover cluster solution would be good idea.

I'm also looking for a Plesk high availability setup, mostly for PHP+MySQL sites.

Did you get it working? How?

Thanks.

We tested it in lab with VMs under ESXi and it worked, but never put it into production as there is a more urgent project to migrate all our public servers to be an ESXi cloud. I am not a fan of PVC I would rather pay for ESX/vSphere+vCenter licenses than for PVC.

How it was done:
- MySQL multimaster replication (google it) setup between the 2 nodes
- rsync for /var/www/vhosts

It would need a lot of more work to be mature enough to be even tested for real sites.. But already we could add sites on server A Plesk, it would appear on server B and seem to be working. I am sure we will look into this again probably H2/2011.

BTW I find Plesk 10 a huge disappointment.. For example IPv6 was promised long time ago to be in PSA10..

How it was done:

It would need a lot of more work to be mature enough to be even tested for real sites.. But already we could add sites on server A Plesk, it would appear on server B and seem to be working. I am sure we will look into this again probably H2/2011.

How would you account for the different IP address on server A and server B for the same site?

Thanks.

You can use the "heartbeat" program that comes bundled with centos. Just google how to setup heartbeat on centos. It was pretty simple with the exception of the main shared IP of the server. We have only used it on dedicated IP based sites.

Now we are working on mirroring possibility for Plesk. However it was not tested yet and any your experience would be valuable for us. I can assume only theoretically that with psa database replication with rsync should not be problems. But these replications should be performed very often for saving all changes in master database. Do you have any other idea how changes can be replicated immediately?
Also as far as I know there is no any mentions about license in psa database. Licenses are stored in /etc/sw/keys/ directory.
You can look at this thread How to run Plesk in a cluster environment also. I think it can be useful for you.

Dear IgorG,

This post was made in 2010.
Now we are in 2014 but still can't find Plesk Mirroring Servers.

Any update?

Greetings

Hi, anynews on mirroring feature or public cloud auto-scaling solution? You mentioned that you are working on it but still not tested, I guess that after 10 years it is now tested, isn't it? No judgement in my post, just to know the status on this. Thx

How it was done:
Year 2024, no news on the subject. Anyway I would like to ask, what are you synching in the multimaster mysql database? Everything or... which databases/tables?

Back