• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Missing saslauthd with Postfix?

P_heck

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

I recently changed from Qmail to Postfix. Since today, I see the following error in my logfile:

Jul 25 21:33:41 ph-internet plesk_saslauthd[22183]: Invalid mail address 'harvey@'
Jul 25 21:33:41 ph-internet postfix/smtpd[22181]: warning: SASL authentication failure: Password verification failed
Jul 25 21:33:41 ph-internet postfix/smtpd[22181]: warning: unknown[64.161.75.7]: SASL PLAIN authentication failed: authentication failure
Jul 25 21:33:41 ph-internet postfix/smtpd[22181]: lost connection after AUTH from unknown[64.161.75.7]

It allways comes with the same IP, only the mail address changes (charley@, harvey@ cody@ etc.)

Ok, looks like someone wants to try out, if he can attack the server.

Nevertheless - I was looking at the configuration and it looks, like no saslauthd is running (no process in ps). Also, I don't see any start script for saslauthd in /etc/init.d, only the liberies are installed (libsasl2-2 and libsasl2-2-modules) - is this normal for the standard Postfix implementation in Plesk?

As I am not familiar with Postfix and saslauthd, I am unsure whether my configuration is fine or not.

Ciao
Peter

Nevertheless - I was looking at the configuration and it looks, like no saslauthd is running (no process in ps). Also, I don't see any start script for saslauthd in /etc/init.d, only the liberies are installed (libsasl2-2 and libsasl2-2-modules) - is this normal for the standard Postfix implementation in Plesk?

Yes, this is normal. saslauthd daemon is launched on demand by init and is not a "normal" service in that sense (i.e. it doesn't have init script).

Also you can tell by log messages, that plesk_saslauthd is actually running when required.

Back