1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

mod_security making server slow

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by gizmo_24, Dec 1, 2005.

1. gizmo_24

gizmo_24 Guest

After installing mod_security with the total ruleset I noticed that the server gets really slow and sometimes it even doesn't have the resources left for an ssh login :/

Removing mod_security makes the server run fine again.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to improve the mod_security configuration? Maybe a "lite" ruleset?

Running Plesk 7.5.4 on FreeBSD 4.10 with Apache 1.3.33

2. ShadowMan@

ShadowMan@ Guest

What are your server hardware specs? I have even run mod_security with all 10 rulesets on a Celeron 2.4 with 512MB without having any noticeable slowdowns. I have RH9, Apache 2 on the server. You can always pick and choose which rulesets to use, you do not have to run all of them.

3. superbock

superbock Guest

the full ruleset is massive.

disable badips, blacklist and blacklist2, and see how it goes, the difference should be huge, while maintaining the same level of appllication security.