• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Modify Plesk firewall rules never completes

iainh

Basic Pleskian
Does anyone have issues with applying Plesk firewall changes?

I make my change, apply and get to:

Status
Applying in progress. If your browser shows connection error messages, or if this screen does not disappear in more than 30 seconds, go to previous page.

And there things stay. Going back to look at the firewall I can see the change haven't been applied, and going to apply just results in the same. No error, just no anything. It also took numerous attempts to get firewall modification to be swtiched on although finally at about the eighth attempt changes were enabled. Only now I can't apply them :-(

Strangely, the firewall now shows as being updated, although I could (and did!) leave the Apply Update screen saying it should refresh within 30 seconds for maybe 5 mins and it still be apparently stuck. Obviously something was going on, but odd that it should take so long. It is were a permisson then it would have failed instantly. Almost as if it was waiting on something...

Well I am trying to make another firewall update and I get the same issue. I...
  1. Make the firwall changes
  2. Apply changes
  3. I can check the script and click Activate
  4. Sit and wait with the same message about "if this screen does not disappear in more than 30 seconds" and the screen just sits there
  5. Try multiple times, same thing
Try and execute the relevant new lines from the script (/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -s x.x.x.x -j ACCEPT and theipv6 equivalent) and no error, but also no change.

Looking at the draft script offered befire hitting 'Activate' I can see no obvious 'Apply' command to suggest some other step I need to take.

Saving the draft script and trying to run directly in Bash just gives:
-bash: ./updFirewall.sh: /bin/sh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory​

You previously pointed me to http://kb.odin.com/en/111283 which mentions:
  1. /var/log/sw-cp-server/error_log
  2. /var/log/sw-cp-server/sw-engine.log
  3. /usr/local/psa/admin/logs/httpsd_access_log
  4. /usr/local/psa/admin/logs/panel.log
None of these show any errors, exceptions, warnings or anything relating to a firewall update.

If the UI is incapable of applying a f/w update, is there a CLI alternative? Just how do I get to update the firewall when Plesk refuses to complete an update and gives no clues as to why not?

Hi! I had the same problem. After several tries, I did not click the "preview script" button but directly "activate" and then it worked ...

Sadly I have tried both ways, most *without* previewing the script, and always with the same non-application of the rule update.

However, my VPS is now on 12.0.18 Update #30, auto-updated Dec 26, 2014, and trying a firewall update the other day, the update *did* complete and the updated rules does seem to have been applied. What's more, the granted access now works and so it not only appeared to work, but it did work :)

I suspect a Plesk update unintentionally broke firewall rule updates. I'd been able to update the firewall previously restricting access and so know that worked, then was unable to grant an additional IP, but have now been able to do so and so it seems something in update #30 (or possibly #29, I'd need to check dates) has fixed the problem...which is a relief!

Back