• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Moodle File Permissions

Roebel

New Pleskian
Hey!
I have Moodle installed on my Plesk-administrated Server.
Moodle is installed manually ans not via the Plesk-Installer as we wanted the newest Version 4.1
Which File Permissions and Ownership should be set on Moodle and on the Moodledata-Directory?
As stated by Moodle (Security recommendations - MoodleDocs) the Owner:Group should be www-data and/or root.
But this is not working.

When installing Moodle via Plesk-Installer, the permissions are as followed:
Code:
Moodle-Top-Directory:
Owner: pleskuser
Group: psaserv
Permission: 750

Moodle Files:
Group: psacln
Permission: 644

config.php -> Permission: 640

Moodle Directories
Permission: 755

Moodledata:
All directories but "users":
Permission: 777

Users-Directory: 755
Moodledata-Files: 666

Is this really the best way to solve the Files in Moodle? Especially the 777/666-Permissions on Moodledata-Files seem suspicious to me, as Moodle itself recommend 700/600.
Setting the Permissions according to the Moodle-Documentation wont work, as Plesk is obviously interfering with the www-data user.

Does anybody have an Idea on how to sell this security-oriented?

Thanks!

Plesk has it's own different set of permissions. You can refer to the follow for more details:

That explains what the group and user permissions are like.

Note that the user of user means the system user account of the domain. You can get that info by going to the domain and looking towards the bottom, will say "System user yourSystemUserName"

Back