• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Moving a Wordpress site from subdomain webspace to main domain webspace

Bravo315

New Pleskian
Hi

The site on NEW.mydomain.com is my the build I want to make live on mydomain.com, they're currently treated as two different webspaces.

Do I;
  1. Manually move the new.mydomain.com files into mydomain.com via FTP as discussed here in 2015 (the problem is Plesk doesn't recognise a Wordpress installation on mydomain.com)
  2. Use the "Copy site" function to transfer NEW.mydomain.com to mydomain.com (again the problem is Plesk doesn't recognise a Wordpress installation on mydomain.com)
  3. Somehow rename the NEW.mydomain.com webspace to mydomain.com (this doesn't seem possible despite the fact you can do this between TLDs?)
  4. Export the wordpress site, set up a new Wordpress installation on mydomain.com and import it again (has it's own issues)
Has anyone had experience with this in the past and have any tips or tricks? And is there a way to do this where Plesk recognises the webspace on mydomain.com as a Wordpress installation? It seems counter intuative to set up a new wordpress installation and export the site again.

There are tonnes of articles around but none seem to deal with this specific (I imagine quite common) problem while having the new webspace. Databases obviously don't need to be moved as they are all under mydomain.com.

Separating a domain from a webspace in Plesk - Media Temple

Copying Website to another domain (Plesk 12)

Thanks in advance.

I would go for the second option, as it is the take the least amount of effort IMHO. (Or use the Clone function from the Wordpress Tool kit, which I think works better).

You can use the Scan option in the Wordpress Tool Kit to search for a Wordpress installation on your domain.
scan-wp.png

Hi

The site on NEW.mydomain.com is my the build I want to make live on mydomain.com, they're currently treated as two different webspaces.

Do I;
  1. Manually move the new.mydomain.com files into mydomain.com via FTP as discussed here in 2015 (the problem is Plesk doesn't recognise a Wordpress installation on mydomain.com)
  2. Use the "Copy site" function to transfer NEW.mydomain.com to mydomain.com (again the problem is Plesk doesn't recognise a Wordpress installation on mydomain.com)
  3. Somehow rename the NEW.mydomain.com webspace to mydomain.com (this doesn't seem possible despite the fact you can do this between TLDs?)
  4. Export the wordpress site, set up a new Wordpress installation on mydomain.com and import it again (has it's own issues)
Has anyone had experience with this in the past and have any tips or tricks? And is there a way to do this where Plesk recognises the webspace on mydomain.com as a Wordpress installation? It seems counter intuative to set up a new wordpress installation and export the site again.

There are tonnes of articles around but none seem to deal with this specific (I imagine quite common) problem while having the new webspace. Databases obviously don't need to be moved as they are all under mydomain.com.

Separating a domain from a webspace in Plesk - Media Temple

Copying Website to another domain (Plesk 12)

Thanks in advance.
I think if it is required to copy a WordPress website on plesk it is recommended to use the Wordpress Cloning Feature instead of Website Copying. To do that Go to WordPress and then click “Clone” on the card of the WordPress installation you want to clone.

Thanks mujeep too.

I ended up using the "Copy Site" function and updating the URL using the wp-config. The Plesk scan function worked well so I could delete the NEW.mydomain.com directory.

Without issue for the most part. One thing to note is that some wordpress themes will pull assets from the old domain after ensuring the site has totally migrated from NEW.mydomain.com, so they needed to be reuploaded.

Do you guys know how to move the website to the new hosting? I thought I should just transfer my files to the website of my new hosting provider, but it didn't work. Managing a WordPress site may be a real pain! Someone told me that this CMS has the most user-friendly interface and obviously he was wrong. Watching youtube tutorials is not enough to update the design or add features if you don't know at least basics of coding. So I think I should hire a professional to consult me about the online store WordPress themes and stuff.

Last edited:
You need to transfer the files and directories and the database. Afterwards, you need to update wp-config.php with the database credentials that your new database has at your new provider.

Back