• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Multiple DNS Servers

weelow

Basic Pleskian
How to make two DNS servers sync automatically so that both have the same dns records.

I currently have two servers:
Server 1 - >
for hosting wordpress
DNS server ns1.domain.com
Linux running named (Bind)

Server 2 - >
for hosting email
DNS server ns2.domain.com
Windows running Windows DNS server

Current Issues I face:
DNS fails on the first server so it query the second server because they are not replicated

Possible Solutions:
-Solution 1:
Server 2:
Uninstall windows DNS and replace is with Bind.
Make bind act as a slave DNS

Server1:
Setup slave dns manager and transfer all records to the slave dns server 2
Then create A record for NS1 and NS2 on Server 2 and use it as the primary and secondary name server since it will be holding all records.

Solution 2:
Will cost extra cash
Set up server 3 as slave DNS server with ports open for dns quereys and
hide server 1 and server 2 beind the firewall and use them to update server 3 records
use server 3 and NS1 and NS2
for possible upgrade add Server 4 for redundancy and also make it a slave for Server 1 and Server 2

What do you guys think?

It's only my own opinion:
- Set up server3 with Linux and BIND. Use it only as DNS Slave server. This server can be slow, it's enough for DNS. It can be the cheapest virtual server from a cloud provider.
- Install Slave DNS Manager to server1. Sync server1 with server3.
- Use server1 as NS1 and server3 as NS2.

Why?
- Two different servers - it is more redundantly. It can be two different geo-locations.
- BIND for Linux more popular solution than BIND for Windows.

It's only my own opinion:
- Set up server3 with Linux and BIND. Use it only as DNS Slave server. This server can be slow, it's enough for DNS. It can be the cheapest virtual server from a cloud provider.
- Install Slave DNS Manager to server1. Sync server1 with server3.
- Use server1 as NS1 and server3 as NS2.

Why?
- Two different servers - it is more redundantly. It can be two different geo-locations.
- BIND for Linux more popular solution than BIND for Windows.

This is a perfect solution, but the only problem is that sever 2 will also need to have records on slave servers
how can i send the records to server 1 and server 3?
keep in mind that sever 2 is running windows dns not bind. I was thinking to replace it with bind and then use server 1 and server 3 as its slaves
This will make sever 1 a master for its own records and a slave for another server records.
Is that even possible?

hm... Can you describe your installation? Do you use two servers with the identical domain? Are you create identical DNS records on two different servers, right?

You say that server2 is for email. How often are you change DNS records on server2? Maybe can you use server1 and server3 as DNS server (only for resolving) on server2?

hm... Can you describe your installation? Do you use two servers with the identical domain? Are you create identical DNS records on two different servers, right?

You say that server2 is for email. How often are you change DNS records on server2? Maybe can you use server1 and server3 as DNS server (only for resolving) on server2?

I got a WHMCS Server automatically setting :
Wordpress Hosting on Server 1,
Email on Server 2,

A client could purchase Emails only or just wordpress without email or both. WHMCS will create the domain on the correct sever according to the service or on both.
I currently have server 1 as Ns1 and Server 2 as Ns2 but its causing DNS erros ofc because a record only exsits on one of them.
If you have an Email and a website you wont have a problem because the record will be on both servers.
I want to sync records between them or have a server with all the records so a dns look up will always result in a success query not a 50 50 according to the server.

Unfortunately, I have no any new ideas. Did you ask WHMCS? Maybe they have a typical solution or KB for this case?

Unfortunately, I have no any new ideas. Did you ask WHMCS? Maybe they have a typical solution or KB for this case?
They don't.
But i have figured what I am going to do. I just have to make two slave DNS servers both being slave for anyserver I have setup
I have contacted them. But it seems they have no clue when it comes to servers and their layout.

I took the decision to create two slave servers facing the internet. Any hosting server will have a master dns for sending the zones to the slave and will not have dns accessibility over the internet. This way dns servers will always be updated from the master servers.

I have created a thread https://talk.plesk.com/threads/transfer-dns-zones-to-slave.341973/ here to help transfer existing zones to the slave servers to keep them in sync. I would be grateful if you check it out.

hm..

Who will be a master? server1 (web)? Will you sync records with server2 (email) or it stay in unsynced state?

hm..

Who will be a master? server1 (web)? Will you sync records with server2 (email) or it stay in unsynced state?

I was thinking to make server1 (Web) and Server 2 (Email) both Master servers for their zones

both connected to the same slave servers and they send records to the slave servers. This way the slave servers will have all the records for any client weather email or web and will be in sync with WHMCS and can be the main name server.
i hope i am clear enough

I think this can work if list of domain on web server is different than list of domain on email server. Each domain of all must be only on first server or only on second server; not on both servers at one time.

Back