• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Multiple host names to one web site

T

three03

I have created a domain under the admin, let's call it "mydomain.com".

I am currently hosting this domain on another server and it is in working order. (www.mydomain.com)

I want to deploy a test/development version of a new site to my new server, running Plesk 6.5. When I go to create the domain I do not see any option to specify a hostname other than "www" and assign it to the domain.

Plesk is not doing DNS for this domain, I have it hosted elsewhere.

How would I setup Plesk to respond to "dev.mydomain.com", and/or "test.mydomain.com"?

In Apache this would be accomplished with the ServerAlias command in httpd.conf, but I am looking for similiar functionality from the admin. Probably by throwing a wildcard in there, *.mydomain.com, so that it responds to any hostname of the domain.

I have seen mention of domain aliases, but to me this means having multiple domains (ie: domain1.com, domain2.com, etc) instead of multiple hostnames.

Using the subdomain features doesn't seem the way to go either because I would have to move the content of the subdomain to the main domain when I want to go live.

Am I missing something here? Is there a checkbox that allows this that I am just not seeing?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,
-- Three

try creating a new domain like test.zxc.com instead of subdomain and instead of physical hosting set it up as forwarding account to www.zxc.com

Originally posted by LithiuM
try creating a new domain like test.zxc.com instead of subdomain and instead of physical hosting set it up as forwarding account to www.zxc.com

By creating a domain such as "dev.mydomain.com", what happens when I want to make it live? Do I just rename it? Do I have to create the "real" domain at that point and then migrate content?

I am not sure what you mean by physical hosting and forwarding account. Could you be more specific?

Thanks for the reply. :)

Originally posted by three03

I am not sure what you mean by physical hosting and forwarding account. Could you be more specific?

I mean hosting type when you're creating a new hosting account on plesk...

Back