• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Multiple IP addresses per subsription

balltongu

New Pleskian
Before I go into too much detail, I'm aware that what's in the subject isn't possible. I've read as such elsewhere and been in a week long discussion with Parallels support trying to get my ticket escalated to someone who can provide me a reasonable workaround that doesn't include giving away free resources just so I can have more than one site with an SSL certificate. To say I'm frustrated would be an understatement. So, here's the scenario I am facing:

• client signs up for a plan that provides multiple sites
  • two of those sites need to have an SSL certificate and therefore need a static IP
  • there is no way to assign more than one static IP to a subscription

Parallels support has suggested multiple times that I create a new subscription under this account per domain I need a static IP on. That has multiple reasons why it won't work including that I'm now giving that client a second plan without charging them for it and secondly that I don't believe that any files will be shared between the two subscriptions which this particular client needed. If we can set aside for a second that it seems completely ridiculous that a shared web hosting panel cannot handle multiple SSL certificates per subscription, I'm left with only one option that I can see - setting the IP address for the sites manually within IIS's configuration. Can anyone comment on whether or not any changes I make that way will actually stay in place or not? I'm guessing not as I imagine Plesk will overwrite those settings eventually. If setting manually won't work, what other options can you guys think of that spares me having to hand out free resources?

Thanks

one option that I can see - setting the IP address for the sites manually within IIS's configuration. Can anyone comment on whether or not any changes I make that way will actually stay in place or not? I'm guessing not as I imagine Plesk will overwrite those settings eventually. If setting manually won't work, what other options can you guys think of that spares me having to hand out free resources?

Yes, eventually it will be overwritten once you change any IP settings of a site in Plesk.
As a workaround you could create a reseller account for a customer with resources equal to what they had, shift their subscription under this new account, and add them 2nd IP. They will be able to un-allocate some resources in their original subscription and create another one on their new IP.

Also Plesk 11.5 brings support of SNI technology previously available for Linux only - it makes possible to run several SSL sites on a single IP. The preview of Plesk 11.5 with SNI suport is publicly available, so while not production ready, you may be interested in trying it and evaluating this new feature.

Another option may be to utilize Shared SSL option and put both sites on the same IP with so-called multidomain- or wildcard-domain- certificate.

The request for multiple IPs is known. You may want to support it with your vote unless you have done it already - plesk.uservoice.com

Regards

That reseller option might be a good workaround, thanks for the idea. Any idea when SNI is going to be available for Windows hosts as we're currently a Windows shop but will be wanting to launch a Linux service as well in the future. I've also voted, thanks for the link.

Back