• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Multiple server nodes running Plesk Obsidian

nhl

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 18
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hello. I am looking for some advice...

I have a customer that is running a single Plesk Obsidian server. Due to resource limitations and the fact that it is currently hosting several hundred websites (The webserver cant handle much more), we are looking to add another Plesk server to the fold.

I was really hoping that we could ad another "node" to the existing server, and as such allowing the client, to move websites between the two servers (as it is possible with several other webhosting platforms). I have been reading about Plesk Multi Server - which seems to be exactly what I want. However after talking with someone in Plesk Sales concerning a licensing issues, I learned that Multi Server has in fact been retired as us Plesk 18 (Obsidian) and onward. This presents a problem.

How can I add another new Plesk server to an existing Plesk Obsidian server environment? Is that even possible? Or is there a plugin that we can use to migrate sites seamlessly between different servers. What do other people do in this case?

Sorry if this is a simple question - But my experience with Plesk is relatively limited.

How can I add another new Plesk server to an existing Plesk Obsidian server environment? Is that even possible?
No. You can only use Plesk to manage the server on which it is installed. If you want to use Plesk on another server you'll have to run that as separate installation. Which works independently of any other servers that have Plesk installed. Recently however some new functionality has been added which allow to run Plesk server a bit more centralized. Such as using a centralized database for multiple installations and the ability to use NFS shares to store hosted websites’ vhost directories. But a centralized setup is of course not the same as a multi-server setup. So I am not sure if a centralized setup is really useful in your scenario.

Or is there a plugin that we can use to migrate sites seamlessly between different servers. What do other people do in this case?
A useful tool is the Plesk Migrator to migrate customers/subscriptions/domains from one server to another (both running Plesk). Another option is to use the Plesk Backup Manager to make a server/customer/domain backup and restore that backup on the new server. The benefit of using backups over the Plesk Migrator is that if you restore a full server backup Plesk (server) settings from the source server are retained (with some limitations).

Back