• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

MySql and NGINX

Graphrix

Basic Pleskian
Have been paying a monthly licence every month since 2004, just can't stand it anymore.

I have a stock standard Centos OS with Plesk and 5 subscribers with 49 domains in total, of which 4 are Wordpress, 1 is a Parallels Presence Builder website, 1 is in Perl / MySql, 2 in PHP / MySql and the rest plain HTML websites with 0 resellers. There isn't much load at all.

Unfortunately since update #12 I have had major issues with MySql and all the services with Plesk (Horde Webmail, Wordpress and the Parallels server).

Once again I seem to be fixing Plesk issues rather than concentrating on my work.

Since update #12 I have had CPU and other hardware related issues, Wordpress, webmail and many other issues all of which seemed to stem from the usage of 'nginx'.

After spending the last 2 days trying to keep MySql going it appears that something with nginx is crashing MySql. Now I know very little about 'nginx' and I am not enjoying the problems it is bringing me.

So instead of completing the request from support to backup everything associated with MySql, databases among many other things, I'm just getting a new server and shutting this one down. So finally after 10 years of being a loyal Parallels customer I am moving over to the other side and going to use cPanel on a fresh Centos install.

update #12

Do you mean Plesk 12.0.8 of microupdate #12?
Please let me know in PM if problem still actual for you. We will find solution for you.

Over 3 months ago all our issues started, we got Parallels to look at it and they hashed out a line in /etc/my.cnf

Months before that we had major issues with the server health among other things. This was fixed in an update, but I believe it caused other issues. MySql keeps shutting down every 6 to 8 hours ... and when MySql doesn't work, nothing works. Parrellels can't find a solution, the server people can't help and we have done every fix possible that we have found.

We know that MySql keeps crashing, hence our issue. This is the response from Parallels support :-

As per checking the above logs, I could see that the InnoDB database getting crashed frequently. This is the reason why mysql service going down intermittently. You can confirm the same in the mysql logs at "/var/log/mysqld.log".
So in this case, you may try the below steps to fix the issue permanently:

### ##
1). Take backup of all the databases (psa,apsc,domain databases,mysql,horde etc). Take the backup of /var/lib/mysql folder as well.
2). Remove files from /var/lib/mysql and recreate InnoDB files by following the below KB article:
http://kb.odin.com/en/6586
3). Once done with the above steps, recreate the other databases and restore the dump taken in the first step.
### ##

Please note that this specific issue falls out of our support scope. You may refer to the link: http://www.parallels.com/support/policy/support-scope/. So I would suggest you to contact your system administrator to perform the above steps.
Apart from that, I could see that the server iowait is getting increased sometimes. So I would personally suggest you to check the disk health with the help of your DC.

.... Like I said, it would be far quicker and easier to just get another server, change everything over to that and turn it off. Backing up everything, removing and recreating everything is going to take days of work and I don't think it will fix the problem as I believe it is Parallels / nginx that is the problem.

Hi Graphrix,

I think that you are probably just annoyed by "another" issue/problem and the fact, that Parallels will not administrate your server for you and just suggest the steps to solve your issues/problems.
An absolut free "MySQLDumper" ( http://www.mysqldumper.net/ ) would do most of all the suggestions for you ( backing up all the databases ) just with a few clicks and it will as well restore the dumps really fast - even on a server with hundreds of domains. You can just relax in your chair and watch MySQLDumper do the job. The rest of the suggestions, mentioned in the KB - article are done in a few minutes, because there will be only a few ( or even just one ) databases that have a possible inconsistence.

The other part is your thought just moving to CPanel, but I don't think that they will do the administration for you, if something does not function the way it should - so you will be again left alone with this. :(

I really understand why you are frustrated, but not only the Parallels Support, but as well the Forum and it's Mods and people willing to help, are here to assist you... just name your issue/problem and we all would like to help you to solve it... but you still have to do some parts on your own, as each administrator of a server has to.

C'mon... let's get a coffee and afterwards back to the suggestions... I'm sure that you will have some tiny little fun as well with it! ^^

I understand what you're saying UFHHO1, thing is that I work in the Parallels panel. Use to have the auto-update feature turned on in the Plesk panel - which just ended up with us going to our email and nothing working, go to the Plesk panel and nothing but an error .. ssh the server and reboot and have still end up with errors. Then spending hours or days trying to fix errors. We turned off auto-updates pretty quick, but unfortunately we still had Parallel bugs.

Of course if the updates are done through the Parallels panel it has to be related to the updates. If your Plesk panel says there are fixes and you install it and BANG, webmail stops functioning or MySql stops functioning you'd think that there was something wrong with the Parallels installer or update. If the installer says there was no issues then you'd think that the update was the cause.

Thing is that we only update from Plesk, usually it is ok. Since version 12 we have spent many months having to work via ssh, trying to fix issues bought about by updating through the Plesk panel. Yeah, I don't mind working with Linux, but when Parallels installs stuff into the server which then creates issues with other features ... then a simple server with a couple of Wordpress sites, html sites and php / Perl sites that require MySql now requires a full time server administrator.

We have always used Parallels due to the fact that it had a great feel about it. The new features where suppose to make it so people, or businesses, required limited server admins ... I don't mind doing the admin stuff, of course there is heaps I know nothing about cause I don't live in Parallels, nor Linux ... many times over the years we have had to spend weeks fixing issues, bugs, waiting for patches.

Nah, like I said ... I've been trying to fix this for months, the server people have had a crack and you guys have had a crack .. can't use the Parallels panel, nor any other feature (like webmail) due to some other features (like nginx) installed by the Parallels pane forcing MySql to stop functioning.

Have purchased the other server and the option come to choose out of 2 Hosting Panel companies - Parallels or cPanel ... we have chosen cPanel and I am dissapointed.

Back