• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

name server setup

J

jpwdesigns

Hi im having a bad time trying to set up name servers on my box. Plesk 8.1.0

firewall is not an issue and ive set up a ns3.jpwns.com and ns4.jpwns.com with godaddy pointing to 2 ip addresses on this box. then in the server > DNS panel i created the a records for ns3.jpwns.com and ns4.jpwns.com

I can ping ns3. and ns4. and it resolves to the right ip address but if i try to query the dns server it times out. Named is started, and firewall not blocking 53. why would it time out? testing on a domain i set up phuketforsale.info on this box.

Thanks for any help. im new at setting up name servers obviously.

J

DNS settings

Yeah, here's everything

Server > DNS:

<domain>. NS ns3.jpwns.com.
<domain>. NS ns4.jpwns.com.
<domain>. A <ip>
<domain>. MX (10) mail.<domain>.
<ip> / 24 PTR <domain>.
ftp.<domain>. CNAME <domain>.
mail.<domain>. A <ip>
webmail.<domain>. A <ip>
www.<domain>. CNAME <domain>.

Domains > Phuketforsale.info > DNS

74.208.8.65 / 24 PTR phuketforsale.info.
ftp.phuketforsale.info. CNAME phuketforsale.info.
mail.phuketforsale.info. A 74.208.8.65
phuketforsale.info. NS ns3.jpwns.com.
phuketforsale.info. NS ns4.jpwns.com.
phuketforsale.info. A 74.208.8.65
phuketforsale.info. MX (10) mail.phuketforsale.info.
webmail.phuketforsale.info. A 74.208.8.65
www.phuketforsale.info. CNAME phuketforsale.info.

(dont know if it matters but...) Domains > jpwns.com > DNS:

74.208.8.65 / 24 PTR jpwns.com.
ftp.jpwns.com. CNAME jpwns.com.
jpwns.com. NS ns3.jpwns.com.
jpwns.com. NS ns4.jpwns.com.
jpwns.com. A 74.208.8.65
jpwns.com. MX (10) mail.jpwns.com.
mail.jpwns.com. A 74.208.8.65
ns1.jpwns.com. A 217.160.248.61
ns2.jpwns.com. A 217.160.247.141
ns3.jpwns.com. A 74.208.8.65
ns4.jpwns.com. A 74.208.64.20
webmail.jpwns.com. A 74.208.8.65
www.jpwns.com. CNAME jpwns.com.

Thanks in advance

You have some serious issues. I would suggest using dnsstuff.com to get started. I ran a DNS check for you and found these problems:

-------------------------------------------------------
WARN All nameservers report identical NS records WARNING: At least one of your nameservers did not return your NS records (it reported 0 answers). This could be because of a referral, if you have a lame nameserver (which would need to be fixed).

217.160.248.61 returns 0 answers (may be a referral)
217.160.247.141 returns 0 answers (may be a referral)

FAIL All nameservers respond ERROR: Some of your nameservers listed at the parent nameservers did not respond. The ones that did not respond are:

Note: If you are running a Watchguard Firebox with DNS Proxy enabled, there may be a bug causing port numbers get mixed up -- if this is the case, you can contact Watchguard to see if they have a fix.

FAIL Lame nameservers ERROR: You have one or more lame nameservers. These are nameservers that do NOT answer authoritatively for your domain. This is bad; for example, these nameservers may never get updated. The following nameservers are lame:

FAIL Missing nameservers 2 ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the parent servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS records are:
ns1.jpwns.com.
ns2.jpwns.com.
ns3.jpwns.com.
ns4.jpwns.com.

FAIL No NSs with CNAMEs ERROR: I checked to see if there were any CNAMEs for your NS records (there shouldn't be), but they all timed out. Note: This test checks with our local DNS server (since the NS record hostnames may not be handled by your DNS server), and therefore may be cached.

WARN TCP Allowed WARNING: One or more of your DNS servers does not accept TCP connections. Although rarely used, TCP connections are occasionally used instead of UDP connections. When firewalls block the TCP DNS connections, it can cause hard-to-diagnose problems. The problem servers are:

74.208.8.65: Error [No response to TCP packets]. 74.208.64.20: Error [No response to TCP packets].

SOA FAIL SOA Record No valid SOA record came back:
is not jpwns.com.
--------------------------------------------------------------
It is not related, but you should not have more than one PTR record per IP address.

I hope this gets you started. If not I would contact your ISP.

Back