• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question named / bind - max-cache-size

Alban Staehli

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS 7.9
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.58 Update #2
Hi,

Attempting to limit memory usage fo Bind on a Plesk / Centos box.
I've read about the max-cache-size option.
I've then created a /etc/named-user-options.conf with following content:
max-cache-size 32m;

Nevertheless, doesn't appear to do anything, after restart and running for about 10min, the bind/named process already uses about 140m of memory, way more than the max-cach-size limit.

Would you know what I did wrong? as this parameter seems to have effect.
Thanks.

Hi again,

I actually realized that the file /etc/named-user-options.conf is not taken into consideration. I did put wrong values in that file on purpose, and named chroot service still started without problem.

Any other way to add options to Bind config?

Code:
// -- THE FOLLOWING LINES WERE GENERATED BY PLESK. IF YOU MODIFY THEM, THEY WILL BE OVERWRITTEN WHEN THESE SETTINGS ARE MANAGED IN PLESK UI. --
options {
        include "/etc/named-user-options.conf";

Thank you.

Also attempted the server wide settings for bind in Plesk UI, doesn't work > any parameter being put there isn't being brought into the /etc/named.conf file.

Realised that the DNS settings from Plesk UI are going into /var/named/chroot/etc/named-user-options.conf and are actually being taken into account.
In brief, anything in /etc/ for named/Bind shall be ignored.

Ended having it working by doing so, since the checkconf was running against proper chrooted file, but execution of service still based on /etc:
Code:
ln -s /var/named/chroot/etc/named-user-options.conf /etc/named-user-options.conf

Back