• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Named error Need help ASAP ..

J

jdk007

I upgraded to RHEL 4 Update 4 and now my named doesn't work... I get:

etc]# /sbin/service named restart
Stopping named: [FAILED]
Starting named:
Error in named configuration:
none:0: open: /etc/named.conf: file not found
[FAILED]

Any idea how to fix this?

also named.conf is link:

etc]# ls -la named.conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 Aug 10 18:52 named.conf -> /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf

ls -al /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf, see if that file exists, because it's appearing that the file is missing at this point.

It does exist. Seems like domain information from plesk is found in /var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf really weird why two conf are there ....

I'm seeing exactly the same thing after the RHEL upgrade. Is there a solution? Help!

Verify that your named.conf is actually in /var/naned/run-root/etc/

Then change your symlink in /etc to point to /var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf

Restart named and you should be ready to go.

I see where you're going, but changing the symbolic link didn't quite work.

It's weird. I checked a backup of etc. Prior to this RHEL update, the /etc/named.conf was a symbolic link to:

/var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf

After the RHEL update, /etc/named.conf is a symbolic link to:

/var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf

If I look at /var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf -- IT IS (at least now) a SYMBOLIC link also -- to:

/var/named/chroot/var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf

Does that make any sense? Perhaps I should change the symbolic link in /etc the above instead?

Well, I tried a symbolic link to both locations. No luck.

Any other thoughts?

Has anyone else other than the topic starter encountered this after applying the recent RHEL updates this weekend?

As best I can tell, it looks like the update made the DNS configuration revert to the default/original (non-Plesk) configuration.

Is there a way I can reinstall the Plesk DNS portion? I put in a ticket with Plesk support hours ago -- but they haven't been able to respond yet.

This is impacting everyone on our server: no web, no email... nothing. I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks!

Thanks!

No -- I didn't see that yet; however, Plesk support did contact me last night EST and fixed most of the problem. They didn't provide the exact fix -- except to indicate that they "hard linked" two files, and rebuilt the DNS files via a script.

There appears to be a remaining minor problem with domain aliases -- the main domains are working -- but the aliases don't.

I've got a reply into SWsoft support -- hopefully they'll be able to help today.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions! Our main functionality is back up this morning.

Originally posted by kturby
Has anyone else other than the topic starter encountered this after applying the recent RHEL updates this weekend?

I'm also encountering the same problem. Searching for other threads now...

Originally posted by pixoul
I'm also encountering the same problem. Searching for other threads now...

This appears to have fixed it for me (from the above-referenced thread):

Originally posted by racker_mmontgom
There was an update issued by RHN this evening which updated the bind-chroot rpm. As part of it's post install script it will attempt to relocate any zone files that may be located outside of the chroot into a chrooted directory in /var/named/chroot.

Since PSA implements a chroot for named outside of this package the nameserver files will be relocated to a path like...

/var/named/chroot/var/named/run-root/var/named/

This will of course break named's ability to startup.

simply remove the bind-chroot rpm and re-link the /etc/named.conf file to the right location.

rpm -e bind-chroot
ln -sf /var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf /etc/named.conf
/sbin/service named restart

You should be good to go at that point.

Matt Montgomery
Rackspace Managed Hosting

May have to revert to old named script

Hi I ran in to a bunch of problems after installing updates to bind (named), and nothing seemed to work. So I went and got an old version of named script, backed up the newer one just in case and put the old one:

> mv /etc/sysconfig/named /etc/sysconfig/named_saved_by _me
> vi /etc/sysconfig/named then paste the following into the file and write and quit:

ROOTDIR="/var/named/run-root"
OPTIONS="-c /etc/named.conf -u named"

then try starting the named service again:

> /etc/rc.d/init.d/named start

if you get any messages that it cant find the config file, create a symbolic link like:

> ln -s /etc/named.conf /var/named/chroot//etc/named.conf

hope that helps you guys! After working on it for about 5 hours this fixed my problem.

Back