• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Named not starting

H

Herby

# /etc/rc.d/init.d/named start
named starten: /bin/chown: Zugriff auf â/var/named/run-root/var/namedâ nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

Error in named configuration:
none:0: open: /etc/named.conf: file not found
[FEHLGESCHLAGEN]

cat /var/log/messages

Feb 8 08:05:38 business named: failed
Feb 8 08:05:38 business named: none:0: open: /etc/named.conf: file not found

but file is there:

# ll /etc/named.conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 7. Feb 13:26 /etc/named.conf -> /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf

# ll /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root named 1323 21. Feb 2005 /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf

SELinux is permissive only

any hints ?

Same Here

Same problem - named is dead after yum automatically updated it this morning. I tried downgrading to the previous version of bind, but it still won't start up. It complains about missing files which are not missing (as far as I can tell)

Fixed

It appears to be a conflict with bind-chroot and PSA. From what I understand, PSA implements it's own version of bind-chroot, and doesn't play nicely with the "standard" version.

The following got me back up and running:

yum remove bind-chroot
ln -sf /var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf /etc/named.conf
service named restart

I have found same problem in my test machine (Centos 4.4) after updating named... still trying to find the problem...

Edit: kwebdesign solution indeed works but this way we have bind running with no chroot, right?

Yes, check my edit on post above, but I'm fearing to apply this solution on production server because of the lack of chroot...

Btw, before uninstalling bind-chroot did you noticed that /etc/named.conf was pointing to /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf and this file didn't have our domains configurations? The one that have them is /var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf (the one you did symlink on /etc/named.conf)... very confuse... if /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf didn't had our domains, were we running named with chroot before update??

I'm not 100% sure about this, but from what I've read, PSA includes some variation of bind-chroot (as evident by the 'run-root' directory). So you are still running in a chroot environment, it is just implemented by Plesk instead of the standard bind-chroot package.

I think the confusion with the various files and links comes from the fact that PSA creates a chroot environment (and creates links to compensate), and then bind-chroot creates another chroot environment on top of that (leading to directories like /var/named/chroot/var/named/run-root/var/named/).

If anyone else has more insight into this, then I'd be glad to hear it.

make sure the ROOTDIR-Variable in /etc/sysconfig/named contains
Code:
ROOTDIR=/var/named/run-root
Updating via YUM resets it to ROOTDIR=/var/named/chroot

Restart named, should work then...

Just checked it on my Centos 4.4 and it is set to ROOTDIR=/var/named/run-root after updating... this doesn't seem to be the problem.

Difinitively bind-chroot !

Just removed it then restart named and its working...
Now whats the implication of this and how we
can re-install bind-chroot ?

named.conf symlink on Plesk Source Installation

Hello,
I checked some systems running Plesk 7.0, 7.5 and 8.1 and the RPM installation use the same method for the chroot environment:

/etc/named -> /var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf.

How does this vary from the Source Installation that places everything under /usr/local/psa?

Thank You.

Back