• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question New to Plesk - VPS backup

hdxxz

New Pleskian
Hi Plesk,

We have this Wordpress site running on an Ubuntu VPS and I've been looking for a reliable way to backup the website and database running on this machine. Our local backups are pretty decently managed but for this VPS we need a good solution. Luckily we do have a Plesk license. I've played around a bit with Plesk on a test server and I read some documentation ( Creating Backups )
and I believe Plesk can do the job.

This might be a silly question but as total Plesk newbie I just want to be sure: can I safely install Plesk on our live server (wget -O - http://autoinstall.plesk.com/one-click-installer | sh)
without the site being deleted or malfunctioning after installation? The site runs Ubuntu 16.04, php7, mysql, Wordpress.

Thanks in advance.

Hi hdxxz,

can I safely install Plesk on our live server (wget -O - http://autoinstall.plesk.com/one-click-installer | sh)
without the site being deleted or malfunctioning after installation? The site runs Ubuntu 16.04, php7, mysql, Wordpress.
The recommendation from Plesk is to install Plesk on a "freshly installed server", as Plesk requires dependencies to other services and software packages.

After your basic server installation ( with Plesk included ), you would then migrate your domain and it's content and it leaves space for reconfigurations and modifications, in case that you experience issues/errors/problems when switching the IP at your DNS server for that specific domain. A preview - mode is as well available, if you desire to test the content, before switching the DNS - settings. :)

Thank you for your response. Migrating is not really an option for us. Can i install it on the live server or is that really unsafe?

Can i install it on the live server or is that really unsafe?
I would not recommend it. Consequences may be unpredictable. Already suggested Migration is really best option here.

Back