• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Newbie install questions

Ewan

New Pleskian
Hi

We are migrating an existing multi-site Windows2003/IIS6 web hosting system with
CFusion8
MS Access backend databases
SQL2000 backend databases
http and https site access

to

Windows2012 R2/IIS8.5 with
CFusion10
MS Access backend databases (not updated)
SQL2014 databases
http and https site access

On the new system we are looking to add Plesk12 to give users easier management of their own websites.

I am about to install the trail version of Plesk12 WebHOST.

I have the following questions:
1. Can we use the plesk migration tool to move the websites from the old IIS6 to the new IIS8.5 server?
2. If not, am I right to think we would migrate from IIS6 to IIS8.5 manually and then import these websites into Plesk12 from the new server?
3. Can I migrate the existing websites piecemeal over onto the new server and into the Plesk control panel at the same time as creating brand new websites under the control panel?
4. Once Plesk is installed on the new IIS server is there a KB article on how to add all these existing websites to Plesk - I could not find one.
5. Is the local windows administrator account used for the install used to run any services?

Thanks in advance.
Ewan

Thanks. However I'm still not clear on some of this. Could you answer each of the questions 2-5 below individually. This would be very helpful.
Ewan

1. Can we use the plesk migration tool to move the websites from the old IIS6 to the new IIS8.5 server?
#Answer: No.

2. If not, am I right to think we would migrate from IIS6 to IIS8.5 manually and then import these websites into Plesk12 from the new server?
3. Can I migrate the existing websites piecemeal over onto the new server and into the Plesk control panel at the same time as creating brand new websites under the control panel?
4. Once Plesk is installed on the new IIS server is there a KB article on how to add all these existing websites to Plesk - I could not find one.
5. Is the local windows administrator account used for the install used to run any services?

Well let's discuss it not in IIS context but Plesk. If I correctly understood your old server has no Plesk installed, right? In this case:

2. Scenario is following: You create empty domains with the same names, mailboxes, and hosting features, ets. on Plesk server like on old IIS server. Then manually migrate all content from old server to new (sites, files, emails, databases, etc).
3. Why not? Number of domains limited by Plesk license key.
4. No way. Only scenario from point 2 is possible.
5. Yes.

Thanks. So,I’m clear on this then

1. On the new Plesk server I should delete any existing websites it have installed directly under IIS8.5 and then create them again through Plesk.

2. IIS8.5 is supported ?– I ask because only IIS8.0 is mentioned on your compatability list.

3. Plesk does not require a database install for management. The database mentioned in the install is just for user website data. (I have an existing external SQLserver database I will use for this).

4. Do I need an outbound ALLOW rule on port 5224 for the initial license install or is this just for subsequent license upgrades?

1. If you have fresh Plesk installation you have no any sites on this server. So, you shouldn't delete something there.
2. According to Plesk 12 Release Notes only IIS 8.0 supported.
3. Plesk has own psa database and corresponding MySQL database engine is included in Plesk distribution kit. Customers databases you can use on external database server. This server should be registered in Plesk.
4. All ports which are necessary for correct Plesk operation are listed in KB article http://kb.odin.com/en/391 Port 5224 should be accessible always.

Thanks. More questions but best to get this sorted before the install.

1. “If you have fresh Plesk installation you have no any sites on this server. So, you shouldn't delete something there.”

But I do already have IIS installed with some test sites working on my new server. They will become part of Plesk. I will delete these test sites and return to the base IIS install.

2. IIS8.5 is the default IIS install with Windows 2012 R2. Given that Windows 2012 R2 is supported for Plesk12 it is strange that IIS8.5 is not supported? I’d rather not go backwards with this, can you comfirm that we will be supported on Windows 2012r2/IIS8.5?

3. The Plesk database. Seems we have 3 install choices.

a. default local mySQL install
b. separate local MS SQL install
c. connect to external shared MS SQL database.

Do you have a recommendation?

Thanks.
Ewan

2. I think IIS8.5 is supported, maybe RN was not updated.
3. Well. You will have local MySQL anyway for Plesk internal psa database operation. You can use this local MySQL database for customer's databases. You can use external MySQL or MSSQL database servers registered in Plesk for customer's databases. You can use local MSSAL database server for customer's databases. It is up to you.

Further Qs:

These questions are designed to clarify what state IIS should be in prior to the Plesk12 install. This is a migration from an existing Windows/IIS6 system without Plesk to a new Windows2012R2/IIS8.5 server with ColdFusion also installed. I am not sure
• how much configuration effort I need to put into IIS prior to the Plesk install;
• what I need to configure within IIS;
• what I just need to configure in Plesk itself.

So, do I need to configure the following extensions I used on the old system under IIS6 in the same way under IIS8.5 on the new system before setting up a site in Plesk which will use them?

Custom .NET/ASP extensions
FrontPage Server Extensions 2002
Macromedia server extensions
FastCGI Handler

Similarly, do I need to enable the following IIS8.5 Roles and features which were required on the old system:

.NET
ASP
IP and Domain Restrictions?

Ewan

Back