• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

newbie needs help, please

S

Stryke

Hi! I'm a complete newbie to webmastering. I got Sitebuilder version 4.0 from Hostgator.

When I asked Hostgator why I only have the script module and nothing else, I was told that that is the only module they support. Where and how can I get additional modules for Sitebuilder?

Also, please tell me how to:

1. Insert Google Analytics and Adsense codes to my site built with Sitebuilder. Can I do this using the script module?
2. Add more pages to the template I am using for my site?
3. Add flash images to the pages of my site?
4. Add a visitor counter to my site?

I would very much appreciate any assistance on these matters. Thank you! :)

1. Insert Google Analytics and Adsense codes to my site built with Sitebuilder. Can I do this using the script module?

All Sitebuilder modules can be found on Parallels website here: http://www.parallels.com/en/download/sitebuilder4/. There you can also find appropriate documentation for using these modules: http://www.parallels.com/en/sitebuilder/docs -> User's Guide.
As I understand Hostgator supports only Script module because this module is static one and does not require dynamic pages support on publishing host. All the rest modules (except also Flash intro module) are dynamic modules and require PHP support with some extensions. Full lists of requirements can be found here: http://www.parallels.com/en/sitebuilder/reqs
Anyway, modules should be downloaded and installed directly on the server. This operation requires administrator privileges. After modules are installed they should be added into Plan properties and can be used for site creation.
Rest of my answers please check in-line:

a

Yes, it should be possible.

a
Page limits for the site are limited in Plan which is used by site owner. If you are administrator of the site just check Plan properties in Users -> Plans page and make sure that number of pages is unlimited.

Unfortunately, flash images can not be uploaded on the site. Only standard picture formats are supported as *.jpg, *.gif, and *.png.

This function belongs to one of the Sitebuilder modules - Statistics module. When this module is installed there is possibility to manage counter on/off and set initial value for it. Also it is possible to view site statistics for the period of time.

Thank you, Dmitry, for your quick response!

However, I still have the following problems:

1. Where can I download modules?
2. How do I download them?
3. How do I directly install these modules on the server?
4. What servers are you referring?
5. Where can I get the required administrator privileges?
6. After they have been installed, how do I add these modules to my Plan properties so I can use them in site creation?

I understand my hosting account at Hostgator supports PHP (version 5.2.6).

Thank you and looking forward to your response. :)

Please read my answers in-line:

1. All Sitebuilder modules can be found on Parallels website here: http://www.parallels.com/en/download/sitebuilder4/. You need to figure out operation system which is used on Sitebuilder server (ask Hostgator), find this OS in the list of OSes on that page and check Modules section for it.

2. Just click on appropriate module name and you will be asked for saving this file. Note these files should be uploaded into Sitebuilder server. If you do not have appropriate privileges for it you should contact with Hostgator.

3. When all necessary modules are uploaded on the server you can install them with help of "rpm -Uhv <module_package_name>" if this is RPM-based system, for example. I think Hostgator should be responsible for this installation as they offer hosting for you.

4. I am referring to Sitebuilder server where Sitebuilder product installed.

5. If you do not have root remote access (administrator access) to the server you better contact with Hostgator.

6. For this, please refer to documentation: http://download1.parallels.com/SiteBuilder/4.2.0/doc/admin/en_US/html/index.htm -> Serving Your Customers -> Setting Up Service Plans

Thanks a lot, Dmitry, for the information.

Unfortunately, Hostgator has just informed me that they won't allow uploading of additional modules to my Sitebuilder server. This absolutely sucks!

Anyway, can you please advise me on what to do so I can install a contact/feedback script on a page on my site which I built with Sitebuilder? Where can I get such a script? Considering that I'm a newbie, I would like to have one that is very simple to install yet versatile in its functions. I need one that I could simply paste in a script module and then use it thereafter.

Please I really need your assistance. That contact/feedback page is the only remaining task that needs to be done for my site to be completely functional.

Thank you and I look forward to your most favorable response on this. :)

I understand the situation but Sitebuilder product itself has special modules as Feedback and all Sitebuilder users use it. As this module can not be installed on the server I can only suggest to try to find some third-party script in Internet. So try to Google, most probably you will find something.

Thank you again, Dmitry, for your ever-quick response. :)

I have found what I need. However, I have a new issue which I'm sure you will be most capable of assisting me with.

I need to have a Thank You page to which users will be directed after accomplishing the contact form. How can I create such a page in Sitebuilder without the said page appearing in the site's main menu?

All pages in my site have links in the main menu so that a user sees each page from any page on the site.

How can I add a Thank You page without it appearing in the main menu (it would look awkward if it does) yet having a link in itself to the home page so the user who has just been directed to that page after accomplishing the contact form can click on the link to go back to the main page?

Your advice will be most helpful. :)

Back