• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved NGINX additional directives conflict

ChrisScottUK

New Pleskian
Hi there, I added code for web browser expired headers to the NGINX additional directives in plesk onyx, but it causes the cors config code beneath it to fail.

What am I doing wrong?
I think it is because I have two location directives - if I'm right that this is the problem, how do I integrate the two parts of the code - cors and webbrowser expires headers?

Thanks in advance

Code:
#
#BEGIN web browser cache
location ~*  \.(ico|pdf|flv|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js|css|swf|x-html|css|xml|js|woff|woff2|ttf|svg|eot)$ {
   expires 30d;
}
#END web browser cache

# Wide-open CORS config for nginx
#
location ~* \.(ogg|ogv|svg|svgz|eot|otf|woff|mp4|ttf|css|rss|atom|js|jpg|jpeg|gif|png|ico|zip|tgz|gz|rar|bz2|doc|xls|exe|ppt|tar|mid|midi|wav|bmp|rtf|html|txt|htm)$ {
    if ($request_method = 'OPTIONS') {
        add_header 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' '*';
        add_header 'Access-Control-Allow-Methods' 'GET, POST, OPTIONS';
        #
        # Custom headers and headers various browsers *should* be OK with but aren't
        #
        add_header 'Access-Control-Allow-Headers' 'DNT,X-CustomHeader,Keep-Alive,User-Agent,X-Requested-With,If-Modified-Since,Cache-Control,Content-Type,Content-Range,Range';
        #
        # Tell client that this pre-flight info is valid for 20 days
        #
        add_header 'Access-Control-Max-Age' 1728000;
        add_header 'Content-Type' 'text/plain charset=UTF-8';
        add_header 'Content-Length' 0;
        return 204;
    }
    if ($request_method = 'POST') {
        add_header 'Access-Control-Allow-Headers' 'DNT,X-CustomHeader,Keep-Alive,User-Agent,X-Requested-With,If-Modified-Since,Cache-Control,Content-Type,Content-Range,Range';
        add_header 'Access-Control-Expose-Headers' 'DNT,X-CustomHeader,Keep-Alive,User-Agent,X-Requested-With,If-Modified-Since,Cache-Control,Content-Type,Content-Range,Range';
    }
    if ($request_method = 'GET') {
        add_header 'Access-Control-Expose-Headers' 'DNT,X-CustomHeader,Keep-Alive,User-Agent,X-Requested-With,If-Modified-Since,Cache-Control,Content-Type,Content-Range,Range';
    }
}

Hi there,

nginx evaluates locations on a specific pattern which is described here.
In short: on the first match it stops; as you inserted similar locations twice, it evaluates them from top to bottom and stops after the first location that matches (which depending on the file type you choose for testing incidentally was in this case the expire location), so as it stops at that point, it doesn't proceed with the CORS instructions.

Have a look at the http headers module which might solve your problem using http map module. Here's an example:

Code:
map $sent_http_content_type $expires {
   default         off;
   application/pdf 30d;
   ~image/         max;
}

expires $expires;

so you would use a location for CORS and a map for the content types you need to expire after 30d.

However, to answer you more specifically in terms of getting the code you have provided to work, and to help you understand how the location blocks work in NGINX, I have amended your code. I have essentially created two location blocks, each applies to different file types. The first I have created to match the file types you wished to apply expired headers too this has instruction to send expires headers along with the same CORS code that you used. The second location block is used solely for the other file types you wanted to add CORS headers too, but did not want the expires headers added. As each location block contains different file types there is no problem with NGINX choosing one or the other, and this achieves your goal.

The code below will work if you copy and paste it into the Plesk NGINX additional directives field. However this method is unnecessarily cumbersome and outdated (as of Dec 2014 when the expires variables I suggest above was introduced to NGINX) as it duplicates a lot of code. It would be simpler and more efficient to use the http map module, as suggested above.

You may also wish to consider changing
Code:
'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' '*';
to
Code:
'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' 'http://yourdomain.com';
replacing http://yourdomain.com with the URL of your origin. - depends on your usecase, but I though it prudent for others reading to include this.

CODE to paste into PLESK Nginx additional directives which will work for you is as follows:
Code:
location ~*  \.(ico|pdf|flv|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js|css|swf|x-html|css|xml|js|woff|woff2|ttf|svg|eot)$ {
expires 30d;

#
    #
    #
    #
    return 204;
}
}
}          }
location ~* \.(ogg|ogv|svg|svgz|eot|otf|mp4|rss|atom|zip|tgz|gz|rar|bz2|doc|xls|exe|ppt|tar|mid|midi|wav|bmp|rtf|html|txt|htm)$ {

#
        #
        #
        #
        return 204;
    }
    }
    }
}

I hope this helps.

Back