• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Nginx + FasCGI PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of X bytes exhausted

PedroV.

Basic Pleskian
Hello, I have a wordpress website using Nginx with PHP-FPM but sometimes when I try to post a article give me a blank page. When I go to nginx error log I saw this:

2014/05/02 17:41:35 [error] 3184#0: *25722 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 196608 bytes)$server: domain.com, request: "GET /wp-admin/post.php?post=135710&action=edit&message=6 HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/www/vhosts/system/domain.com/php-fpm.sock:$

In PHP settings I have on memory limit: 24384M.

But I think is need to raise the memory limit of FastCGI right? How can I increase?

My server have 32GB of ram.

Thank you
Regards,
Pedro

Last edited:
You probably edited the PHP memory limit in the wrong place. Please create a new PHP file on this website containing:

<? phpinfo(); ?>

Then open the file in your browser and check for the PHP.ini file location. Then edit that file.
Or, modify PHP.ini settings for this subscription in Plesk.

PS: Your error indicates WP is trying to allocate more then 268 MB of RAM. That is quite a lot just for posting a new article. It could be you have some out of control WP plugins.

Thanks for the reply Tozz,

I see in php file and shows me the memory_limit is 24384M.

Yes appears to be a plugin that are using much resources but the error with memory of 268 MB doesn't make sense.

24G is alot of memory for 1 PHP script. What if you change it to a more sensible amount? Such as 2GB? Or maybe you can set it to 0, to set an unlimited amount.

Also see: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9276212/php-settings-memory-limits-1024m-does-not-work

As that thread suggest you might also verify that suhosin (if installed) is not causing grieve. You could try to uninstall suhosin, as it can cause troubles hard to diagnose. You can then reinstall it later on when necessary.

Back