• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Nginx not starting automatically

SoftCreatR

Basic Pleskian
Today, i've set up a new Debian 7 server with Plesk 12. After the basic configuration, i've installed nginx via Plesk updater.

Now, when restarting the whole server, nginx doesnt start for some reason. Plesk shows it as running, but `service nginx status` shows, that it isnt running. But an `nginx.pid` exists in /var/run, but it's empty.

However, starting it manually via `service nginx start` works fine without any error.

I've already tried `update-rc.d nginx remove && update-rc.d nginx defaults` but without any success. I've also tried another init script, but same results.

Any advice?

If you see that ngix process is up and running after server reboot with help of

# ps ax | grep nginx

you should check that `service nginx status` works correctly on your OS. Looks like this is OS related issue.

The problem is not, that `service nginx status` shows, that nginx isnt running. The problem is, that this information is true. Because after a server restart, a webpage using php5-fpm/nginx doesnt load. But it does, if i start nginx manually.

Please use the information from the Parallels article:

Please see as well the "Note" ...
Note: The start and stop operations for the Reverse Proxy Server (Nginx) listed above do not just start and stop the Nginx service. They also switch the web server configuration for all the domains in Plesk (an Nginx and Apache combination or just an Apache web server).
... to understand, that this is not only a start - script, as in "/etc/init.d".

Back