• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Ngnix + htaccess + Plesk

abouk

New Pleskian
Hello,

I am a new user of Plesk. I use Plesk Onyx Web Admin in one server and Plesk Onyx Web Pro in another server.
I used to work with cPanel/WHM for years and switched to Plesk last 2 months.

Most of the web sites needs htaccess and I my first experience with Ngnix is with plesk. So I found the following issues using plesk that I'd like to share with you.

Issues
1) Very often I get "Server Error"
2) htaccess is not working
3) sometimes the links are not working (ex: www.domain.com/test says error but www.domain.com/test/ is working!)

I think that plesk is using Ngnix BUT doesn't support it right.

What I can't find
1) Configuration of Ngnix is poor, or not exist at all.
2) There is no way to disable Ngnix and go back to my old good apache (to the whole server)
3) Statistic page of Ngnix (like apache status) in Plesk
4) The "apache and Ngnix settings" per domain has a "proxy" future but doesn't seems to work very good.
5) I can't find how to use htaccess (even a plesk document was wrong)

Well, I think that Ngnix support from Plesk makes big damage to Plesk reputation.
And... if I have to do all above manually from shell... then why do I need plesk for?

I don't know if other users have the same problems, but I am very disapointed by Ngnix + Plesk. If you can provide any useful information I would be happy.

Thank you,
Alex

1) Configuration of Ngnix is poor, or not exist at all.
The configuration can be seen in /var/www/vhosts/system/DOMAIN.TLD/conf/nginx.conf. It is well done and correct for most cases. You can adapt the configuration easily by adding sections through the "Apache & nginx Settings" page of the domain.

2) There is no way to disable Ngnix and go back to my old good apache (to the whole server)
There is. In your Plesk Panel click the "Apache & nginx Settings" icon. In the "nginx" section check "Proxy mode", but uncheck "Smart static file processing" and "Serve static files directly by nginx". This will pass all requests through to Apache with no further interference by Nginx.

3) Statistic page of Ngnix (like apache status) in Plesk
What do you mean by that? Can you please provide an example?

4) The "apache and Ngnix settings" per domain has a "proxy" future but doesn't seems to work very good.
Not to my knowledge. This works perfectly and delivers an awesome performance. Could you please describe in more detail what does not work?

5) I can't find how to use htaccess (even a plesk document was wrong)
Nginx does not support .htaccess intenionally. This is not an issue, it's a feature. .htaccess has severe disadvantages, for example httpd service must read the whole directory structure under any .htaccess file if an .htaccess file is present, so it will always read at least two things per request; what a waste of resources. When you do Nginx-only-hosting you must convert your .htaccess rules to Nginx rules. I suggest to install the Nginx htaccess converter extension that can do this for you.

Back