• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

NOOB Recommendations?

I

interos

As a NOOB, can anyone recommend a Linux distro that Plesk 8 works well with? Ideally, such a recommendation would include a walk through on installation and configuration.
It would appear my first choice of Fedora Core 5 is not in favor.

TIA
-Bill

I would recommend as noob to stay away from Plesk8. For Plesk 7.5.4 I would recommend Centos4.

I'm running a new install of Plesk 8 on Fedora 4 and I am generally quite happy. I can't see what all the fuss about Plesk 8 is - that's probably because I did a clean install, not an upgrade from another version. Sure, there are some problems, but nothing major. (Out of curiosity has anyone had trouble with a new install of version 8?)

I was considering CentOS (or even subscribing to Red Hat Enterprise) but in the end it came down to Fedora 4 having the later versions of those packages I chose to care about (PHP, MySQL, PostgreSQL). Anyway, what I did was a "server" install of Fedora 4 selecting relevant packages (Web server, MySQL server, PostgreSQL server etc. - don't select FTP server because Plesk installs its own).

You'll also need to make sure some SELinux packages are installed (type yum install selinux-policy-targeted selinux-policy-targeted-sources selinux-policy-strict selinux-policy-strict-sources) to avoid version incompatibilities with the Plesk-supplied packages. Then run yum update to get the latest updates for the system.

Then follow the Plesk install instructions for the autoinstaller.

We have done a clean install of PLESK 8 on RHEL3 ES without any issues at all, I recommend doing a manual rpm installation, which is what we did. So far all testing is going really well, and I have yet to find any real issues with PLESK8.

We do have many other active PLESK7.5.4 servers which we would like to upgrade to PLESK 8, but we are hesitant to so untill some of the issue's (regarding upgrades) are cleaned up.

I've done a great upgrade from Plesk 7.5.4 to 8. I'm running a SuSE 9.3 64Bit system.. everything working great.

Back