• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Offer Webspace for Students - Where to start

F. Ehlert

New Pleskian
Hi everybody,

i am It-Teacher in a school and i want to offer webspace with ftp-access,php and a MySql Database for my students. I want every student to have an own area where they can't destroy work from others. I wan't them to teach the fundamental of webdesign and database access. And because they need experience they should be able to do the homework at home.

For security reasons it is not possible (that is to say i am not allowed) to have a server running in the schools intranet and even when i was allowed there would be no access from the internet to it.

I now bought me a Virtual Server to get things done. It is running Plesk 12.

my Plan was
  • a subdomain for every it-teacher (e.g. teachersname.domain.de)
  • webusers for the students (e.g. teachersname.domain,de/~student1)
  • ftp access for each user
  • a database for each student
  • no interference bewteen subdomains and webusers
I think this must be possible with plesk.

Can anybody give me a short explanation with reading tips how it is done with plesk? When i start reading plesks documentation is overwhelming me. I even can't figure out which plesk frontend (admin, customer, reseller) i am in.

I can create subdomains and webusers but they aren't connected or seperated: webusers space is reached by every subdomain.

I think when i know where to start reading (and of course learning) i am able to handle it.

I hope you can understand my english (i am german).

I hope for an answer.

Thanks in advance.

F.

I think that you can use the following simple structure:

One student has one own subscription studentname.domain.de

You can easily create required number of these separate subscriptions with Plesk API XML request, for example.

As a possible extension, you can add teachers as Resellers with an own number of reseller's subscriptions for students of this teacher.

Hi,
thanks for helping me.

I tried to follow your suggestion and after facing severall problems, a phonecall with the support clarified things for me:

i only have plesk web-app edition. Thats why i couldnt figuere out which documents to read.

I am really dissapointed now, because of taken in by my hosters advertising. Marketing Sh**

Sorry for making you work on this question.

Bye

F.

hmm i think you would need at least Plesk Web Admin Edition if this allows Unlimited Subdomains. As an example i have my server rented from Strato.de and they will upgrade my license according to my need until unlimited license ^^

P.S. ich bin auch aus Deutschland

Back