• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved OG description ignored

Seba

Basic Pleskian
Hi all,

7 months ago I recreated all the website in our server and applied html 5 SEO metatag, these are the one I'm using

Code:
<meta property="og:title" content="European Travel Destinations">
<meta property="og:description" content="Offering tour packages for individuals or groups.">
<meta property="og:image" content="http://euro-travel-example.com/thumbnail.jpg">
<meta property="og:url" content="http://euro-travel-example.com/index.htm">
<meta name="twitter:card" content="summary_large_image">

for some reason in the search engine the og:description is completely ignored, while in my website hosted in GitHub pages and redirecting the DNS there it display the description correctly. Is there something that I need to do in order to make the search engine use the og:description property?

A real scenario you can search for "barnet traffweb"

HTML:
<meta property="og:description" content="Barnet Open Source Web mapping Site for viewing Traffic Orders (TROs / TMOs), On Street Parking System. Built and Hosted by Buchanan Computing">

displayed text in the search engines

HTML:
....></header><div id="disclaimer"><h3 class="text-center">Disclaimer</h3><p>The restrictions and information...

the first "p" after the header

another example can be "traffweb demo" that is work correctly, it takes the og:description.

Those 2 websites are hosted on different servers but both have been reimaged and have the same software and plugins.

Last edited:
for some reason in the search engine the og:description is completely ignored, while in my website hosted in GitHub pages and redirecting the DNS there it display the description correctly. Is there something that I need to do in order to make the search engine use the og:description property?
It is an expected behavior. For example Google ignores meta tag entries and there is nothing you can do about it. Your website ist not at fault. Some search engines simply ignore the tags. That's all.

@Peter Debik so why Traffweb demo is correct on Google and other websites not?

They are on different servers but they all have the same software and OS and all the website use the same meta tag property.

Google is free to choose what they use from a site and what they do not use. This may even depend on the location from where you are searching and the language settings you are using. You cannot enforce any tag oder code snippet to appear as a short description in Google.

Back