• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved ONYX slow on adding domains or changing settings

VITEX

New Pleskian
Dear all,

recently we migrated the majority of our servers from Plesk 12.5 to ONYX.

Adding domains, changing domain settings or e.g. adding a certificate within the controlpanel takes much longer compared to Plesk 12.5 - resulting in Bad Gateway errors and such. We have already added Webserver Restart delay 60 seconds, graceful restart in the PSA database etc. with no positive effect.

It seems like the errors occur just at the time when the config is changed after clicking ok even though Apache should delay the restart.

Any idea ?

BR
VITEX

It seems that I have the exact same problem :(

Onyx is very very slow after changing a few settings.
  • Product: Plesk Onyx 17.0.17 Update #17, last updated at Feb 20, 2017 09:00 AM

We experience this too and not from Update #17. Sometimes is impossible to do anything in Plesk and we need to restart it to work normally again.

I can confirm this issue, too. As far as we found out it is related to the shutdown phase of Apache web server, which might be delayed for delayed shut down of PHP-FPM modules. It is quite annoying. We see Apache restart failures from time to time even httpd is set to graceful restarts (configuration reloads). Domains can only be added at an acceptable speed if the web server restart interval has not expired yet, so that the web server is not restarted immediately after applying the configuration change. We have not yet found a fix for it.

I have the same issue Plesk VERY SLOW 17.0.17 #17, WHat is the root cause? Also Backups are very very slow, Plesk 12.5.30 it takes 10 minutes, Plesk Onyx around 40 minutes and near 100% CPU usage.

We have already added Webserver Restart delay 60 seconds, graceful restart in the PSA database etc. with no positive effect.
Graceful restarts is an important step to ease the problem. Then, choose a much longer restart interval. 60 seconds will cause many problems, because one restart won't have finished when the next one is already occuring. See explanation in next paragraph. You should allow at least five minutes (=300 seconds), on high load servers better fifteen minutes, because it can take a very long while until an Apache restart sequence is completed. Apache will wait a long while in the shutdown (deactivation) phase, because it is waiting on other processes to finish their job.

WHat is the root cause?
It seems to be a combination of too low PHP FPM values for pm.max_children and pm.max_requests and long running PHP scripts in subscriptions. When Apache restarts, it tries to wait with shutting down until PHP processes that are run through FPM service have completed. If FPM is causing trouble at this point, it takes a long while for Apache to restart. The more subscriptions are using PHP FPM instead of FastCGI, the more intense the issue becomes. It is not easy to solve, because the load that PHP scripts create cannot be controlled through any settings. If there are scripts running that are causing many changes to the FPM processes and have a long runtime, it will simply take a long while for the shutdown. During that shutdown phase, new requests won't be served if no spare FPM service children are remaining or the number of max requests of others have been reached, but more requests are coming in, which is giving extra trouble.

To make a long story short: We've seen that effect on one of our machines for several months now, and since we have removed one customer who was using long running scripts and have increased the max_children and max_requests values on all subscriptions who showed "has reached max_children" error in PHP FPM logs, the situation has greatly improved. Before we had several FPM and Apache failures and outages (very short, only a few seconds, but they did occur), now this machine is up to 100% availability again and responding faster to domain creation or changes on the panel, too.

pm.max_children and pm.max_requests must be set according to the physical characteristics of the server. On a virtual server, max_children=5 and max_requests=2000 can make sense, while on a powerful dedicated server with many hosting accounts, max_children=25 and max_requests=10000 makes more sense. There is no good rule on what numbers to choose, they must simply balance RAM usage, process load and overall service behavior depending on the platform.

I hope a fix will be available very soon :)

Backups are also very very slow (takes 3 hours :(, it should be around 20 minutes). Basically, everything is very slow (including SSH) and I'm constantly seeing "504 Gateway Time-out nginx" on all of my websites :mad:

Will change pm.max_children and pm.max_requests to see if the situation improves.

Last edited:
Backups is a different topic. The backup speed is mainly governed by the speed of your CPU, your hard disk and the current load on the system plus the speed of your network connection to your FTP storage. This is almost fully independent from Plesk software.

In the beginning of Onyx, creating backups was lightning fast but suddenly (without changing hardware) it became very slow. Reading the above comments it seems that more installations are affected by it. Might have something to do with php 7.1 (fpm and fastcgi).

Still enjoy working with Onyx though :)

This is the exact problem i had.

Issue with Apache Adaptor.

There is a kb article. About how to update the Apache Adaptor. I can't find it right now.

try to find KB article about how to upgrade Apache Apator.

I know how annoying this issue gets.

All sort of issue,
Bad gateway
Error 500
Apache high cpu & memery usage.
Sw-engine hangs

Thanks to @Peter Debik noticing the failing graceful restart and second restart on my Apache Error Log and Plesk Team. I was able to fix this issue.

Last edited:
Back