• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Onyx: Updates?

omexlu

Regular Pleskian
Hello,

I have a question about the distro updates, in this case a reboot will be done automatic after that installation?:

show.jpg

Hi omexlu,

in this case a reboot will be done automatic after that installation?:
No, this is not Windows. :p
It's just like the standart apt-get/aptiude, or yum - update/upgrade: You will never be forced to reboot, if you don't command this on your very own. :)

Hi @UFHH01 ,

Thank you for your answer, i will do the update on monday because i am on holiday over the weekend.
But as i think the changes of the kernel are only if the reboot has been maked, right?

EDIT: But after the upgrade, plesk give the possiblity to reboot? (in this case) or must be done manually if needed?

Hi omexlu,

Correct!

Surprise, surprise.... Embrace all the fun and surprises, that awaits you on Monday then! :p:D:p

Thank you :)

The problem with such updates is always that I am afraid that afterwards or after the reboot nothing starts and because i am not a guru i have a big problem :D ...

Hope this goes well

The problem with such updates is always that I am afraid that afterwards or after the reboot nothing starts and because i am not a guru i have a big problem :D ...
You're not alone ;) Let me tell you that I am in constant fear over this, too. We've still not upgraded all machines to Onyx for that reason, because even in a seemingly "perfect" environment we ran into trouble with one last year. Changes are always a risk, no matter how much you know, no matter if Guru or not.

You're not alone ;) Let me tell you that I am in constant fear over this, too. We've still not upgraded all machines to Onyx for that reason, because even in a seemingly "perfect" environment we ran into trouble with one last year. Changes are always a risk, no matter how much you know, no matter if Guru or not.

I hope there are no complication on that, but i think because its a safe-update (as configured in plesk) that this went good :)

I have automatique update enabled for plesk, but kernel images is something else :D
I gonna do this on monday and see what happend :)

Hi,

Have now updated that 2 kernel updates, but no trigger to reboot or dialogue who asked to reboot?
Must i reboot the server now or not? :)

Hi omexlu,

depending on your operating system, kernel updates/upgrades automatically remove ( or don't remove ) the module tree of the old kernel, which can lead to issues/errors/problems, if you ( or a script on your server ) unloads a specific kernel - module. To avoid such issues/errors/problems, you would certainly reboot immidiatly, after a kernel update/upgrade.
On Debian/Ubuntu based systems, you would remove obsolete packages with the command "apt-get autoremove", after your reboot. :)

If you want to use the new advantages of the kernel ( i.e. security fixes ), it is essential to reboot. ;)

Hi omexlu,

depending on your operating system, kernel updates/upgrades automatically remove ( or don't remove ) the module tree of the old kernel, which can lead to issues/errors/problems, if you ( or a script on your server ) unloads a specific kernel - module. To avoid such issues/errors/problems, you would certainly reboot immidiatly, after a kernel update/upgrade.
On Debian/Ubuntu based systems, you would remove obsolete packages with the command "apt-get autoremove", after your reboot. :)

If you want to use the new advantages of the kernel ( i.e. security fixes ), it is essential to reboot. ;)

I used:
Version Plesk Onyx v17.0.17_build1700161028.14 os_Debian 8.0
OS Debian 8.7

So better to reboot now and after that do a "apt-get autoremove" ? :)
Reboot trought "Plesk Panel"?

Last edited:
Hi omexlu,

again... don't make it more complicated, than it is, pls... just TYPE

reboot

as user "root" ( logged in over SSH ). Afterwards, pls. stand up, go to the kitchen, and make a new coffee/tee, or what ever takes at least 2-5 minutes to do. If you smoke, pls. step outside to some fresh air and have a cigarette ( maybe with the coffee? ). In most cases, you will come back and see that your server rebooted and you may now continue to check, that all needed services are up and running. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi omexlu,

again... don't make it more complicated, than it is, pls... just TYPE

reboot

as user "root" ( logged in over SSH ). Afterwards, pls. stand up, go to the kitchen, and make a new coffee/tee, or what ever takes at least 2-5 minutes to do. If you smoke, pls. step outside to some fresh air and have a cigarette ( maybe with the coffee? ). In most cases, you will come back and see that your server rebooted and you may now continue to check, that all needed services are up and running. ;)

I do so, rebooted after 2-3 minutes and all is running well :)

apt-get autoremove
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

There are nothing to remove also all good :)

Thanks and sorry but the fair :D

Back