• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Optimizing MySQL

L

linuxxphybrid

I'd like to get more performance out of MySQL, and I'd like to use my-large.cnf for this reason.

q1. My server has 2GB memory. Is using my-large.cnf reasonable?

q2. How do I use my-large.cnf instead of my.cnf that Plesk 7.5 installs?

The optimization of the Mysql engine depends on the type of queries you run an it's not trivial. You can replace the /etc/my.cnf file with the my-large.cnf, but most likely there will be no performance improvement.

Isn't there something non-expert can do to boost performance, or this is something we need to study, take time and approach very patiently?

Performance tuning can be done even by non-experts. However, it will take much time on your part to do much research and testing/monitoring.

It is up to you to decide if it is time well spent, or if it would be more cost effective to pay an expert to do it for you.

Just like you would not just put a nitrous oxide booster into just any automobile and expect it to work, there are many factors to consider when dealing with a server.

(sorry, my analogy is really a poor one, but too tired to think of a better one)

In your situation the only course I see is:

1. Change config
2. Test
3. Wait
4. Repeat

but it will take a loooong time.

Back