• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Kulturmensch

Regular Pleskian
After upgrading my V-Server to Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS + Obsidian I spent some time on the "permanent hostname" issue again. Changing the "hostname" in Plesk did not survive a reboot at all as the necessary files etc/hostname and etc/mailname got kept but etc/hosts got the original content again.

Using the commad after reboot "hostnamectl" shows what happend:

Static hostname: <my changed name.de>
Transient hostname: <the old name>
Icon name: computer-container
Chassis: container
Machine ID: a57c314212ae183afdaddcf3852191c
Boot ID: 2a5a3619ddcc11cf2dc44322acffc
Virtualization: openvz
Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
Kernel: Linux 5.4.0
Architecture: x86-64

So, the problem occured, that amavis-new was using the <old name> in the E-Mail header i.e. for Authentication-Results and also for the helo/Ehlo in parallel to the usage of <my changed name.de> for other header entries. Obviously not optmal.

My workaround is to start a skript on reboot (crontab, user: root) with the following content:

<Start skript>
#!/bin/bash
cp /etc/my.hosts /etc/hosts
cp /etc/my.hostname /etc/hostname
cp /etc/my.mailname /etc/mailname
hostnamectl set-hostname <my changed name.de>
sleep 1
../etc/init.d/amavis restart
<End skript>

where my.hostname, my.hosts and my.mailname contain the "right" contents and the command hostnamectl set-hostname <my changed name.de> make the difference to earlier approaches.

Having done this the commad "hostnamectl" does not shows a Transient hostname any longer and amavis produces the right e-mail header entries.

If there are better solutions please let me know.

Back