• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

PHP upgrade on CentOS 5

H

hosttt

Hi all,

I need to upgrade my PHP version on my server.

The server is running CENTOS 5 and my PHP version is 5.1.6. I need to get to version 5.2 or higher (compatibility problems).

On the website of CENTOS... they write that the highest version included is 5.1.6. And the will not change this until there is a fully new release of CENTOS.

Can anyone tell me how to do this. And are there persons that have experience in doing this…

CENTOS 5
plesk 8.4

thanks!

Do you have a date in mind for the release of PHP 5.2.6 on the atomic channel (centos5) ? Been suffering from the include_path problem in 5.2.5. Zend Framework sites dont work if someone logs into Horde because it overwrites the ini include path.

Thanks atomicturtle!
The PHP 5.2.6 fixed my include_path problem.

Hey,

Im on CentOS5 and Plesk 8.3. Not found issues yet. I'm not using ioncube, eaccelerator or zend optimizer.

I just tried your repositorie with my BlueQuartz 4.7 (based on centos4.5) installation, everything went smooth and php and mysql both work flawlessly, the onlye thing is.. I can't use mysql with php...
I'm also missing some other extensions for php (like json, soap, gd), it looks like php is compiled without mysql and some other things...

phpinfo() shows:

Configure Command './configure' '--build=i686-redhat-linux-gnu' '--host=i686-redhat-linux-gnu' '--target=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix=' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec' '--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/usr/com' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--cache-file=../config.cache' '--with-libdir=lib' '--with-config-file-path=/etc' '--with-config-file-scan-dir=/etc/php.d' '--disable-debug' '--with-pic' '--disable-rpath' '--without-pear' '--with-bz2' '--with-curl' '--with-exec-dir=/usr/bin' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr' '--with-png-dir=/usr' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--without-gdbm' '--with-gettext' '--with-gmp' '--with-iconv' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr' '--with-openssl' '--with-png' '--with-pspell' '--with-expat-dir=/usr' '--with-pcre-regex=/usr' '--with-zlib' '--with-layout=GNU' '--enable-exif' '--enable-ftp' '--enable-magic-quotes' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-sysvsem' '--enable-sysvshm' '--enable-sysvmsg' '--enable-track-vars' '--enable-trans-sid' '--enable-yp' '--enable-wddx' '--with-kerberos' '--enable-ucd-snmp-hack' '--with-unixODBC=shared,/usr' '--enable-memory-limit' '--enable-shmop' '--enable-calendar' '--enable-dbx' '--enable-dio' '--without-mime-magic' '--without-sqlite' '--with-libxml-dir=/usr' '--with-xml' '--with-apxs2=/usr/sbin/apxs' '--without-mysql' '--without-gd' '--without-odbc' '--disable-dom' '--disable-dba' '--without-unixODBC' '--disable-pdo' '--disable-xmlreader' '--disable-xmlwriter' '--disable-json'

Is it possible to enable these extensions somehow? They should be installed already with yum:

php-mysql.i386 5.2.5-4.el4.art installed
Matched from:
php-mysql

just fixed the problem.. looks like I needed to update to php 5.1.6 first (using centosplus repository) and than update to 5.2.5 (using atomic repository).

for people who also have BlueQuartz installed, this is how I managed to update PHP without losing BQ Administrator functionality:

Create a separate directory for the admin server modules.
cd /usr/lib
mkdir admserv
cd admserv
lets copy the needed stuff over there
cp -R ../httpd/* ./
cp -R ../php4 ./
edit /etc/admserv/conf.d/php.conf and change the php4_module line into this:
LoadModule php4_module /usr/lib/admserv/modules/libphp4.so
tell PHP4 where his modules can be found by editing /etc/admserv/php.ini
extension_dir = /usr/lib/admserv/php4
Let's test it by restarting the admin server.
/etc/rc.d/init.d/admserv restart
If all goes fine, we can start by modifying the YUM repository.
pico -w /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo
enable the centosplus server, save and update using yum
yum update
if you restart apache at this moment, you probably get a syntax error...
pico -w /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl_perl.conf
change the perlsection to this:
use Apache2::perlSections();
Save the file, and restart your main server by doing:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart
after this, update using the atomic repository (as described above by atomicturtle)
I did not enable the Plesk repository because it would uninstall proftpd..

thanks for sharing this repository with us atomicturtle, sure helped me updating to php5.2!

I'd really need to upgrade to PHP5.2.6 (from 5.1.6) But last time I did anything like this I had to restore EVERYTHING, mainly because Pleask did not like what I upgraded.

The procedure above looks pretty easy.... But can someone tell me how to backup my current PHP so I can revert back if necessary?

I have centos 4
current verion php 4
I want to php version 5.
can I do?
Pls help me...

Back