• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 10.4.4 Upgrade SpamAssassin not working

Justin Clarke

Regular Pleskian
Just upgraded to Plesk 10.4.4 and SpamAssassin doesn't seem to be checking any email.

In the settings it is turned on, but if I view the source of emails or email logs there is no evidence of SpamAssasin working.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Plesk, 10.4.4 (Update #4), CentOS Linux 2.6.18-028stab092.1

Tools & Settings > Spam Filter Settings. Put a check in "Switch on server-wide SpamAssassin spam filtering".

ACTUAL RESULT - No emails are being checked by SpamAssasin.

EXPECTED RESULT - All emails should be checked by SpamAssassin.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
I have uninstalled psa-spamassassin and spamassassin.
rpm -e psa-spamassassin
rpm -e spamassassin

Then reinstalled using the auto installer and ran: /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk --with-spam

But this makes no difference.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Any related error messages from /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog ?

Thanks for your reply, I can't see anything unusual in the mail logs. No errors or anything. I've been through the whole of today's error logs. It's as if the mail settings aren't passing the email over to SpamAssassin in the first place.

If I search for the word "error" in my logs all I get is a few of these:
Nov 28 09:14:32 s15341377 /var/qmail/bin/relaylock[22471]: /var/qmail/bin/relaylock: mail from 180.246.114.27:19818 (softdnserror)

Which is nothing to do with this.

Any more ideas?

One thing to note is that back in Plesk 9 SpamAssasin was working fine as you didn't need a licence for it (or an upgrade of your existing Plesk licence), I could go and tick and untick the option to enable/disable it. Then when I first upgraded to Plesk 10 (about a year ago now) I lost access to SpamAssassin (it was greyed out and unticked) because you took it out of the regular Plesk licence and had an option on the Licence Management page for SpamAssassin which I didn't have. Now I've upgraded to 10.3.1 and then to 10.4.4 I have noticed that SpamAssassin is now working like it did in Plesk 9 (without the bit on the Licence Management page) so I can again enabled/disable it by ticking the box. Not sure if this has anything to do with it?

Thanks.

Same problem here. Did /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk --with-spam

I had this problem in the past after upgrading but it could be simply solved by unchecking/checking server-wide spam filter in the settings. But not now.

spamd and spammng are running, but simply the qmail-handler is not called.

@Justin Clarke: Have you solved the problem?

Edit: I upgraded from 10.3. It worked fine with 10.3

Last edited:
Hi,
What MTA are you using?
I'm using Qmail on Debian 5 and Spamassassin is working, but i did have to enable spamassassin for every mailaccount, and not per domain.

I'm also running 10.4.4

Kind Regards

Hi,
What MTA are you using?
I'm using Qmail on Debian 5 and Spamassassin is working, but i did have to enable spamassassin for every mailaccount, and not per domain.

I'm also running 10.4.4

Kind Regards

QMail as well but on CentOS. How do you enable it for each mail account?

I got it fixed!

I was also not able to specify the individual per-user settings for spamassassin. Now it works again. What I did

1) Switched to postfix: http://kb.parallels.com/en/5801 (Spamassassin still did not work)
2) removed spamassassin. For Ubuntu. apt-get remove psa-spamassassin spamassassin
3) reinstalled spamassassin with autoinstaller

Now spamassassin is running again and I can also specify per-user settings.

Last edited:
Good job! Now we also know where the handlers are stored. Have you figured out when a specific handler is called or not? I am asking because the spamassassin handler is called for every mail, also internal mail, which is not necessary.

That's right, I don't know if there's a solution but have a look at the table:
queue|type|enabled|priority|name|address|executable|context
1|4|1|10|check-quota|all|/opt/psa/handlers/hooks/check-quota|none
1|4|0|10|spf|all|/opt/psa/handlers/hooks/spf|none
2|1|0|10|spam|[email protected]|/opt/psa/handlers/hooks/spam|text
I would make some experiments with by changing the type or queue. Mayby plesk support can give some insight to this.
Another idea would be to replace /opt/psa/handlers/hooks/spam with a script which then decides if /opt/psa/handlers/hooks/spam is called or not.

Last edited:
I found the reason for this. This solution works without switching to postfix, have a look here:
http://blog.blubyte.de/2012/04/plesk-10-4-4-with-qmail-spamassassin-not-working/

Regards
CG

Great, thanks very much for this!!!

Now Parallels just need to "fix" this issue in their code, so it sets this in all email accounts when the option is turned on in the Panel. And to also turn this on in newly created mail accounts.

At the moment we will need to run this every time we create a new mail account.

Thanks for getting to the bottom of this.

Igor can you put this to the developers.

Thanks.

An Easier Fix to Get Spamassassin Working

I too just had Spamassassin stop working after a recent panel upgrade to 10.4#26, but I found a much easier fix.

I disabled Spam Filtering on the main CP, turning off "Switch on server-wide SpamAssassin spam filtering" and then re-enabled the filter setting again and also enabled "Apply individual settings to spam filtering", then restarted the mail server and we're in business, mail is being filtered and the spam headers are added to the email.

Hope this helps - I'm on Plesk 10.4, CentOS5 with Postfix

Alias Email Error

One error that I see with SpamAsssassin on Plesk 10.4 is that an alias name is not checked by Spamassassin - see the following headers from an email that was sent to DAVE@** as an alias to DAVID@**

DomainKey-Status: no signature
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
X-Original-To: [email protected]
Delivered-To: [email protected]
X-No-Auth: unauthenticated sender
Received-SPF: neutral (ip-72-167-42-84.ip.secureserver.net: 94.228.211.163 is neither permitted nor denied by domain of frephign.info) client-ip=94.228.211.163; [email protected]; helo=frephign.info;
X-No-Relay: not in my network

Back