• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 11.0.9 Panel - FTP no more working

Christian Schopf

New Pleskian
Dear Sir or Madam,

I run a virtual ubuntu server and after the plesk update from 10.04 to 11.09 it isn't possible anymore to login to the Server via FTP with my root Account.
Logging in with an FTP Account for Webspace is working well.

What can I do? Maybe anyone other with this problem?

It seems that you integrated a proFTP Alpha

Code:
[*]  Upgrade of supplied components. Panel 11.0 includes the following components:

[B]ProFTPD 1.3.4a[/B]
phpPgAdmin 5.0.3
PHP 5.3.10 for customer websites
PHP 5.3.10 for the Panel web interface
phpMyAdmin 3.5.6
openssl-0.9.8 on CentOS 5
BIND 9.8.1-P1
nginx 1.3

root FTP is dangerous. Why you don't use file manager under plesk panel to manage all files?

Don't try to add the root user in the FTP config.

Instead, use SFTP (FTP over SSH).

You can download a package such as WinSCP which allows you to connect via SSH and transfer files to and from the server in a similar way to using an FTP client.

Please be aware, however, that if you want to do so as root you will have to allow root logins via SSH, which is itself dangerous.
If you must do this, at the very least use keys instead of passwords (see puttygen which is part of the full putty installation file).

And ideally you should disable root logins and instead create an additional user, then connect via WinSCP using that user and upload your files to that user's home directory. Then login via ssh as that user, su - root, and copy the files to the necessary location (being sure to then chown them to the correct user and not leaving them owned by root)

Or, if you have a static IP, it is "reasonably safe" to allow root logins (but still via a key not password) as long as you firewall port 22 to only allow logins from your IP (it is useful to have a backup static IP you can connect from in case your IP changes unexpectedly or your connection goes down temporarily)

Back