• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Plesk 11.5.30 Qmail mailer deamon bounce "failure notice"

GiulianoP

Basic Pleskian
Hi all,
I use Plesk 11.5.30 with CentOS 6.9 (final version). I have a problem with QMail because I have in the queue there are a lot of mail with subject "failure notice". When I open this mail is impossible to understand who is the sender:

Received: (qmail 23300 invoked for bounce); 19 Jul 2019 18:40:56 +0200
Date: 19 Jul 2019 18:40:56 +0200
To: [email protected]
Subject: failure notice

I have found the mail in /var/qmail/queue/mess/0 but doesn't show any information about the sender and the authentication process seems ok (/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/mail_auth_view), so I think that a pc of my customer has infected.

Any idea for to fix this situation?

Thanking in advance and sorry for my english.

Giuliano

Check /var/log/maillog to see what's going on.

There are several possibilities here, a SMTP account breach, a rogue script (due to a broken in hosting or a vunerable web page) or an actual spammer with a valid account.

The cause needs to be discovered immediately or your server's IP will get blacklisted. This is something you'll need to check when this is over in any case.

Yea, probably an account that was broken into, either via a vulnerable client device, a weak or stolen password, ... who knows.

The Outgoing Mail Control feature in Plesk is very good at catching these kind of issues before they cause greater harm. I can only recommend upgrading to a Plesk version that has this feature, if you can.

Back