• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk 12.5.30 + CentOs7 + Fail2Ban jail "recidive" = 502 Bad Gateway nginx

Antonio Volpe

New Pleskian
After the last update # 41 the jail "recidive" generates the error "502 Bad Gateway nginx" blocking access to websites. To allow access to sites I had to disable the jail. Have you any suggestions to reactivate it without incurring the error 502?

Hi Antonio Volpe,

such issues can appear, when your website coding is inadequate and leads to missing images, non-existent links and so on.
But to inform you, it is NOT the "recidive" jail, which is blocking IPs for "bad behaviour" of your visitor - it's for example the jail "apache-nohome.conf", with failregex - expressions, as for example:
Code:
failregex = ^%(_apache_error_client)s (AH00128: )?File does not exist: .*/~.*

ignoreregex =
Example:
Let's assume, that you coded your website to serve "favicon", with the URL "https//www.YOUR-DOMAIN.COM/favicon.ico", but your icon is not existent at this URL, then visitors will get punished for this inadequate coding, because YOU directed them with your website - code to ask for a icon at the above path, but each time your visitor request the file, your webserver doesn't serve the icon with the answer "File does not exist" ( Pls. see your domain - specific log - files for such issues/problems/errors - so you can correct your inadequate coding! ).
As you can see, Fail2Ban doesn't do anything wrong here, it just bans IPs, with the filters, that YOU define. ;) The "recidive" - jail just bans "returning" IPs, so when Fail2Ban recognizes a returning IP, which get banned again and again, then it will ban this specific IP for a longer time now ( as defined in your jail! ). The "recidive" - jail monitors your "fail2ban.log" and not any webserver - log - files. ;)

Hello UFHH01,

sorry for dropping in, but after reading your answer I got concerned about something like this happenning to me as well, so I've looked at my ip2ban jails and filters and I didn't find a rule like the one you cited (btw, I have updated to #41 too before checking).

To be honest I think it would be an abomination to ban anybody for triggering "404"s (unless we are talking about hundreds of them by the second).

Can you please confirm that such a rule does not exists in Plesk standard configuration?

TIA, Sergio.

Can you please confirm that such a rule does not exists in Plesk standard configuration?
Sure... this is absolutely "confirmed".

I just wanted to describe, what the root cause of this issue might be, so I pointed out a jail from the official Fail2Ban github repo: https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/blob/0.10/config/filter.d/apache-nohome.conf
Often enough, people activate all existent jails ( even those which are not inspected! ) and find themselve in situations as described.

Plesk standard jails are named with "plesk-" at "/etc/fail2ban/filter.d".

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi UFHH01,
I first of all thank you for the answer. I just want to point out that the jail "recidive" of the error 502 not only on sites that have no picture but also empty index.html:
<html>
<Head>
<Title> Untitled </ title>
</ Head>
<Body> </ body>
</ Html>)
or in the placeholder pages of plesk.
However I am comforted to know that those to whom I owe sytare careful jails are named with "plesk-.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Back