• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 12.5 backup password: can it be recovered?

southy

Basic Pleskian
Dear all,

I have a OpenVZ container that's dead. Can not be recovered due to various reasons.
However I can access its file system via the host. I have full access to the file system, but no running services.
So I can extract all backups as well as /var/vhost/www/*, the maildirs and everything else that's a file.
Just there are no services running and it will not start any more.
That means I can not access anything in a database via sql client.

Now my problem is: The backups are password-protected and the password is lost with the machine, so I can retrieve the data, but mailboxes will have a new password set by plesk.

Can I somehow recover / copy the settings of the original mailbox so that the restored backup on the new machine will get the same password as on the old machine? Where does dovecoat store its passwords?

Can I somehow extract the plesk backup password hash somewhere from a file and put it somewhere else, say in the environment variable? (probably not as it will be a hash only)...

Can I extract the password of a DB user from the DB file? Probably not, will be a hash only. But can`t I extract the hash and replace the new hash on the new machine with the old one?

Hoping for some ideas,

Southy

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't know that methoad and didn't think of it.
However I have already recovered everything at the price of lost passwords - only abaout 20 users affected in this case, so it's bearable.

Next time I know where to look. Thank you!

Back