• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 12.5 php-fpm issue

cij

New Pleskian
Hello community,

I have an issue with my Ubuntu 14.04 Server. I have upgraded the Plesk Panel from version 12 to 12.5 and if I check the status of php-fpm it seems to be only the php-fpm 5.5.9 by OS vendor is running. All other version is not working. I have checked my log files and can see the following error report.

[21-Oct-2015 13:24:34] ERROR: No pool defined. at least one pool section must be specified in config file
[21-Oct-2015 13:24:34] ERROR: failed to post process the configuration
[21-Oct-2015 13:24:34] ERROR: FPM initialization failed
[21-Oct-2015 13:24:34] ERROR: No pool defined. at least one pool section must be specified in config file
[21-Oct-2015 13:24:34] ERROR: failed to post process the configuration
[21-Oct-2015 13:24:34] ERROR: FPM initialization failed

If I have understand correct the other topics I need to reinstall the plesk-php-fpm correct? If so can anyone plese tell me the shell command to do this?

Or is an other solution existing to fix this issue?

Thank you in advanced,

Hello again,

my issue is still existing, can anyone please help.

Error message when I try to strart the PHP 5.6 handler in Plesk.

'Unable to make action: Unable to manage service by phpinimng: ('start', 'plesk-php56-fpm'). Error: invoke-rc.d: initscript plesk-php56-fpm, action "status" failed.
Service plesk-php56-fpm is down after attempt to start it'

@cij,

I cannot be sure, given the log output you have provided, but you can try the following (consecutive) steps

a) disable php56-fpm on the domain(s), on which it is running,

b) to be sure:

- check that the file /opt/plesk/php/5.6/etc/php-fpm.conf still exists,
- check that the file /var/www/vhosts/system/<domain>/php-fpm.sock (with <domain> the domains where the php56-fpm was running) is non-existent, otherwise: remove,
- run: /usr/local/psa/bin/php_handler --disable -id plesk-php56-fpm
- run: /usr/local/psa/bin/php_handler --enable -id plesk-php56-fpm

c) do a check:

- run: ps aux | grep fpm
- verify: php-fpm: master process (/opt/plesk/php/5.6/etc/php-fpm.conf) should be running (once)

d) activate php56-fpm on one domain and

- verify: /var/www/vhosts/system/<domain>/php-fpm.sock should exist
- if necessary, read: /var/log/plesk-php56-fpm/error.log (and post output in this forum)

Hope the above helps!

Regards....

Hello,

@trialotto thank you for your reply... all settings / chekcs from your post are fine on my system, only:

@cij,
c) do a check:

- verify: php-fpm: master process (/opt/plesk/php/5.6/etc/php-fpm.conf) should be running (once)

My output for php-fmp master process is (/etc/sw-engine/sw-engine-fpm.conf) instead of (/opt/plesk/php/5.6/etc/php-fpm.conf) is this maybe the issue?

Thank you in advanced

@cij,

You stated:
My output for php-fmp master process is (/etc/sw-engine/sw-engine-fpm.conf) instead of (/opt/plesk/php/5.6/etc/php-fpm.conf) is this maybe the issue?

The above statement is a little bit confusing, in many different ways.

To be clear, the result from ps aux | grep fpm should be:

root <pid1> .. .. .. .. .. php-fpm: master process (/etc/php5/fpm/php-fpm.conf)
www-data <pid2> .. .. .. .. .. php-fpm: pool www
www-data <pid3> .. .. .. .. .. php-fpm: pool www
root <pid4> .. .. .. .. .. php-fpm: master process (/opt/plesk/php/5.6/etc/php-fpm.conf)
root <pid5> .. .. .. .. .. sw-engine-fpm: master process (/etc/sw-engine/sw-engine-fpm.conf)

I now have to make the (valid) assumption that you have the last line and that you only miss the (second from last) line with "php-fpm: master process (/opt/plesk/php/5.6/etc/php-fpm.conf)", am I correct?

It is, given your first post, also very likely that you miss one (of the two) line(s) with "www-data <pid> .. .. .. .. .. php-fpm: pool www", is that correct?

I hope that you can answer the above two questions.

Since I cannot wait for your answers, do the following in the meantime:

a) to be sure:

- check that the file /run/plesk-php56-fpm.pid exists,
- check that the file /opt/plesk/php/5.6/etc/php-fpm.d/<domain>.conf exists,
- check that pool configuration options are not overridden in the file /var/www/vhosts/system/<domain>/conf/php.ini (note: normally, this file should be non-existent or empty)

b) if all checks from point a) are passed, just

- run: service sw-engine restart

and verify that you have five lines of output, as presented above.

If the "service sw-engine restart" is not resulting in the five lines of output, then it is very likely that some override of pool configuration options is present in a php.ini file.

But first, let me know whether a (simple) restart of sw-engine did the trick and, if not, can you answer the questions mentioned above?

Regards.....

@trialotto,

sorry, below the complete result from ps aux | grep fpm:

root <pid1> .. .. .. .. .. sw-engine-fpm: master process (/etc/sw-engine/sw-engine-fpm.conf)
root <pid1> .. .. .. .. .. php-fpm: master process (/etc/php5/fpm/php-fpm.conf)
www-data <pid1> .. .. .. .. .. php-fpm: pool www
www-data <pid1> .. .. .. .. .. php-fpm: pool www

I now have to make the (valid) assumption that you have the last line and that you only miss the (second from last) line with "php-fpm: master process (/opt/plesk/php/5.6/etc/php-fpm.conf)", am I correct?

confirmed, this is correct. The second line with path php-fpm: master process (/opt/plesk/php/5.6/etc/php-fpm.conf) is missing

- check that the file /run/plesk-php56-fpm.pid exists,
CIJ: Pit file 'plesk-php56-fpm.pid ' is not existing
- check that the file /opt/plesk/php/5.6/etc/php-fpm.d/<domain>.conf exists,
CIJ: No .conf files available, the folder is empty
- check that pool configuration options are not overridden in the file /var/www/vhosts/system/<domain>/conf/php.ini (note: normally, this file should be non-existent or empty)
CIJ: php.ini file is available, the ini file has parameters included

If I understand right I have several issues at the same time correct?

Thank you very much for your support!

@cij,

You stated:
CIJ: php.ini file is available, the ini file has parameters included

It seems to be the case that your /var/www/vhosts/system/<domain>/conf/php.ini is causing some conflicts.

Go to the directory /var/www/vhosts/system/<domain>/conf/ and rename the specific php.ini file in that directory (do not rename the core php.ini !) to php.ini.bak.

Restart by issuing the command "service sw-engine restart" and check whether the line root "<pid4> .. .. .. .. .. php-fpm: master process (/opt/plesk/php/5.6/etc/php-fpm.conf)" occurs, when executing "ps aux | grep fpm".

If that is the case, your (custom) php.ini is not properly defined, causing the conflict in php56-fpm.

If the above does not help, just re-install the package with:

- delete: apt-get purge plesk-php56-fpm
- cleanup: apt-get autoremove (optional, not strictly necessary)
- install: apt-get install plesk-php56-fpm

Regards.....

@trialotto

I did everythink you mentioned but it didn´t help. Even re-installing the plesk-php56-fpm. Attached you will find two screenshot showing that the php5.6 service is running, but once I want to activate the service for a Domain I receive the error message presented in screenshot two.

1.PNG 2.PNG

@cij,

The first screenshot is indicating that the php56-fpm is installed, it does not imply that it is active.

The second screenshot is indicating that the php56-fpm is not running.

Did you apply the php56-fpm to any domain?

Try to activate it on a domain of your choice, go to <domain> > Php settings > select php support - version 5.6.14 > select execute php as FPM served by Apache.

If you go back to Tools & Settings > Services and see php-fpm 5.6.14 running, then there is no problem.

Let me know......

Regards.....

@trialotto,

Did you apply the php56-fpm to any domain?

Yes, I did. When I try to start the service I receive an error message.

Error: 'Unable to make action: Unable to manage service by phpinimng: ('start', 'plesk-php56-fpm'). Error: invoke-rc.d: initscript plesk-php56-fpm, action "status" failed.
Service plesk-php56-fpm is down after attempt to start it'

The php56-fpm service is not starting on my server. I’m truly desperate.

Regards

@cij,

Problem is that I do not know what causes the error, amongst others given the fact that you did not give output of all relevant logs.

The obvious actions to be taken have already been tried and have not been succesful.

One thing I noticed is that you have entries with the date 21 october 2015, does that also imply that you upgraded before 25th of october?

If so, then there can be a huge issue with all packages installed at the moment of the upgrade (and a new clean install of Plesk would be the best solution).

Please start a personal conversation and answer the question above, as well as provide the autoinstaller log files, as from the moment of upgrade.

Regards.....

Back