• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 12.5 RTM - Cannot connect to FTP

Reqlez

Basic Pleskian
Hello.

No matter what I tried with 12.5 RTM version, I can't get FTP to work. Fresh install CentOS 7.1 updated all packages before installing.

in logs i get:

Sep 28 17:20:28 http01 proftpd[2605]: fatal: ScoreboardFile: : unable to use '/var/run/proftpd/scoreboard': No such file or directory on line 74 of '/etc/proftpd.conf'

SO i created a new directory called /var/run/proftpd/ ( only lasts until restart ) and then i can connect but i'm stuck with this:

And it never gets directory listing.

in logs it just shows:

Sep 28 17:28:46 http01 proftpd[2641]: processing configuration directory '/etc/proftpd.d'

Sep 28 17:28:46 http01 proftpd[2641]: 127.0.0.1 (192.168.32.151[192.168.32.151]) - FTP session opened.

I looked under /etc/psa/psa.conf and there isn't even anything mentioned there about ProFTPD ... but i saw in version 12 its supposed to be there.

Any ideas ? I also tried disabling SELinux, did not help.

Okay I added PassivePort in the config and allowed FW and now i can connect. But its still annoying because i have to create the /var/run/proftpd/ every time i restart server... why is that not being created ? or is the configuration incorrect and this directory should be located somewhere else ? obviously the set-up procedure is incorrect. Also i cannot see "Active FTP Sessions" in Plesk panel, probably because ProFTPD section is missing in /etc/psa/psa.conf

UPDATE: modified proftpd config to put scoreboard on /var/proftpd/scoreboard

also added the Proftpd section to psa.conf and indicated same scoreboard path there. Everything works fine after reboot, but FTP sessions under the Plesk panel are empty.

Last edited:
Okay more errors I see in /var/log/messages:

mod_delay/0.7: unable to open DelayTable '/var/run/proftpd/proftpd.delay': No such file or directory

unable to open TransferLog '/var/log/plesk/xferlog': Permission denied

kernel: warning: `in.proftpd' uses 32-bit capabilities (legacy support in use)

note sure if those are bad or not but i'm thinking FTPD with Plesk 12.5.30 Update 4 in CentOS 7.1 is broken and needs some testing

Hello,

I cannot reproduce proftpd probls, and see explicitly set ScoreboardFile to /var/run/proftd.scoreboard on fresh installation of CentOS 7.1

Code:
# grep Scoreb /etc/proftpd.conf
ScoreboardFile /var/run/proftpd.scoreboard
# rpm -qf /etc/proftpd.conf
psa-proftpd-1.3.5a-cos7.build1300150928.19.x86_64
# rpm -V psa-proftpd
S.5....T.  c /etc/xinetd.d/ftp_psa

Could you provide output of this commands from your box (may be in PM)?

Last edited:
Hello,

I cannot reproduce proftpd probls, and see explicitly set ScoreboardFile to /var/run/proftd.scoreboard on fresh installation of CentOS 7.1

Code:
# grep Scoreb /etc/proftpd.conf
ScoreboardFile /var/run/proftpd.scoreboard
# rpm -qf /etc/proftpd.conf
psa-proftpd-1.3.5a-cos7.build1300150928.19.x86_64
# rpm -V psa-proftpd
S.5....T.  c /etc/xinetd.d/ftp_psa

Could you provide output of this commands from your box (may be in PM)?

VERY interesting... I wonder why my config file was defaulting to ScoreboardFile to /var/run/proftd/scoreboard ( please note the slash not DOT )

Also ... I saw that the ProFTPD section from PSA.conf is missing .... is that normal ?

Here i my output ...

[root@http01 ~]# rpm -qf /etc/proftpd.conf

psa-proftpd-1.3.6-9.el7.art.x86_64

[root@http01 ~]# rpm -V psa-proftpd

S.5....T. c /etc/proftpd.conf

SM5....T. c /etc/xinetd.d/ftp_psa

missing /var/run/proftpd

Wait a second ... does this have anything to do with the fact that i had the atomic repo installed on my machine for a bit ? ( i removed it ... but i installed it because somebody suggested it in the beginning )

Hello,

Yep, it seems problem in atomic proftpd package on centos7 - i'll check and write bug report about it.
I recommend you to manually remove psa-proftpd package and then install from Plesk repo:

Code:
# rpm -e --nodeps psa-proftpd

# plesk installer --select-release-current --install-component=proftpd

Hello,

Yep, it seems problem in atomic proftpd package on centos7 - i'll check and write bug report about it.
I recommend you to manually remove psa-proftpd package and then install from Plesk repo:

Code:

thanks for the command ! i'm a Plesk noob so that helps! Also i guess i'm not crazy about the atomic repo.

Okay tested and working great now! and i can see the active sessions inside the plesk panel ... now, i don't know if the PROFTPD stuff gets added automatically to PSA.conf or not ... ( have not tested ) but i did add that section and put the link to the new scoreboard location as per new proftpd.conf file ... not sure why the other version of proftpd didn't add the section to psa.conf

I am also experiencing FTP (ProFTPD) problems, since I upgrade my server (fresh install OS & Plesk) and migrated the accounts.

In order to get FTP accepting connections again, I have to use the commands 'mizar' shared:

I have to do this every single day or after a reboot! This is really not acceptable.

I wish I never upgraded to CentOS 7 + Plesk 12.5.

On a sidenote; Plesk 12.5 is ugly and not user friendly compared to Plesk 12.
Plesk 12 was easier to use and better for the eyes.

//edit

Current version of Plesk I am running is: 12.5.30.

* bump *

Had to redo the commends again, in order to get FTP access. "Luckily" this is my own personal server and not one of our customers, otherwise they would stop using Plesk completely.
Is this normal behaviour for Plesk, if so, please do share, then we can stop with Odin / Plesk all together.

Because running the commands below *EVERY* single day (in order to get FTP access) is annoying to says the least...

* bump *

Still having issues with connecting to FTP. I have to redo the above steps as I mentioned (several times now).
I think it's time that we move over to DirectAdmin fully given the bad & limited support by Odin. Apparently Odin doesn't care.

Odin doesn't care about FTP issues.

As long as they don't get money for it, they aren't fixing anything.
Odin = poor support / high prices.

If the problem keeps returning it's likely due to an automatic update or cronjob. Since the solution above comes from removing the atomic proftpd package and installing the Plesk one, it's plausible that each night an update re-installs the atomic package. To prevent that you could edit /etc/yum.repos.d/atomic.repo and under the
[atomic] section, put: exclude = psa-proftpd (pretty sure that's the syntax)

That would prevent an automatic update to the atomic binaries.

If you don't have the atomic repo installed, then you might have a different issue than originally reported in this thread that happens to be resolved by the same commands. After all re-installing the binary package could resolve any number of issues.

Thank you for the reply websavers. I added the line you mentioned and will keep an eye on my server to see if it's been resolved.
I really hope so, because it's very annoying.

Well what websavers said didn't work. After a reboot I cannot connect to the FTP again (on any of my accounts).
I have to rerun the commands again. Sigh.

It works every time fine (after running the commands given by 'mizar', but after a reboot I cannot re-connect to FTP and have to rerun the commands again. :S

It seems your issue is a bit different from the original poster's. When this occurs, does restarting the ProFTP daemon resolve the problem (rather than re-installing the binaries)? You would run:

`service xinetd restart`

First; thanks for replying websavers. Highly appreciated.

Tried what you said; first I rebooted the server. When it came back up I tested FTP and I can confirm I couldn't connect to it.
Then I tried your command 'service xinetd restart'

The server responded:
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl restart xinetd.service

Then I tried to connect again to FTP, but I still couldn't connect to it.

So the only fix, once again, was running:

rpm -e --nodeps psa-proftpd
plesk installer --select-release-current --install-component=proftpd

:(

Back