• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 12.5 RTM - Cannot connect to FTP

I checked the logs, while trying to connect 3 times to FTP and this is what I noticed:

Nov 26 20:23:22 ns1 xinetd[1895]: START: ftp pid=16290 from=::ffff:xx.xx.xx.x
Nov 26 20:23:22 ns1 proftpd[16290]: fatal: ScoreboardFile: : unable to use '/var/run/proftpd/scoreboard': No such file or directory on line 74 of '/etc/proftpd.conf'
Nov 26 20:23:22 ns1 xinetd[1895]: EXIT: ftp status=1 pid=16290 duration=0(sec)
Nov 26 20:23:25 ns1 xinetd[1895]: START: ftp pid=16292 from=::ffff:xx.xx.xx.x
Nov 26 20:23:25 ns1 proftpd[16292]: fatal: ScoreboardFile: : unable to use '/var/run/proftpd/scoreboard': No such file or directory on line 74 of '/etc/proftpd.conf'
Nov 26 20:23:25 ns1 xinetd[1895]: EXIT: ftp status=1 pid=16292 duration=0(sec)
Nov 26 20:23:26 ns1 xinetd[1895]: START: ftp pid=16294 from=::ffff:xx.xx.xx.x
Nov 26 20:23:26 ns1 proftpd[16294]: fatal: ScoreboardFile: : unable to use '/var/run/proftpd/scoreboard': No such file or directory on line 74 of '/etc/proftpd.conf'
Nov 26 20:23:26 ns1 xinetd[1895]: EXIT: ftp status=1 pid=16294 duration=0(sec)
Nov 26 20:23:36 ns1 xinetd[1895]: START: ftp pid=16297 from=::ffff:xx.xx.xx.x
Nov 26 20:23:36 ns1 proftpd[16297]: fatal: ScoreboardFile: : unable to use '/var/run/proftpd/scoreboard': No such file or directory on line 74 of '/etc/proftpd.conf'
Nov 26 20:23:36 ns1 xinetd[1895]: EXIT: ftp status=1 pid=16297 duration=0(sec)

This happens after a reboot, if I run the mentioned commands it's working again.
Seems it removes something on reboot?

//update

Did a quick search on Google on this, 2nd hit was this thread the topic starter created. He has the same error? :S

Yeah, so it is indeed the same issue. I would bet that they just haven't reboot their server since reinstalling the packages.

Still seems pretty odd to me that the scoreboard directory would be removed upon reboot though.

I also have a Plesk 12.5 server running on CentOS 7:

OS ‪CentOS Linux 7.1.1503 (Core)‬
Plesk version 12.5.30 Update #12, last updated at Nov 24, 2015 09:17 AM
psa-proftpd-1.3.6-9.el7.art.x86_64

Run `rpm -q psa-proftpd` to see which version of proftpd you have installed. Mine is still the Atomic version. FTPS connections test fine. I do not have a /var/run/proftpd/scoreboard file, instead mine is:

/var/run/proftpd.scoreboard

Which is referenced in /etc/proftpd.conf as:

ScoreboardFile /var/run/proftpd.scoreboard

---

Try this out...

1) Remove that exclusion from the atomic repo for proftpd (from my first response) and run yum update to get the atomic version installed again. Be sure to check to be sure you've got the atomic version installed using the rpm command above.
2) Edit /etc/proftpd.conf and change the ScoreboardFile setting to: /var/run/proftpd.scoreboard
3) Run `touch /var/run/proftpd.scoreboard`

Try a reboot and see how it goes using that file location (which seems to be the preferred Atomic file location for the scoreboard).

It's really weird. Because I was on CentOS 5 still with Plesk 12. So I decided to setup a new server and migrate my accounts to the new server.
So the server was based on a clean install.

I am running now:

CentOS Linux 7.1.1503 (Core)‬
12.5.30 Update #12, last updated at Nov 26, 2015 12:34 PM
psa-proftpd 1.3.6-9.el7.art

Unless I am mistaken, it's exactly the same as you... Weird that I am experiencing problems. Though it's only with the FTP, as I mentioned.

Ran the update again, checked if FTP was working again (= yes) and ran 'rpm -q psa-proftpd'

psa-proftpd-1.3.6-9.el7.art.x86_64

Next I opened /etc/proftpd.conf and searched for the 'ScoreboardFile'-setting:

ScoreboardFile /var/run/proftpd/scoreboard

At first I thought it was the same, however re-read your post and noticed a difference, so I changed it to:

/var/run/proftpd.scoreboard

Followed by running 'touch /var/run/proftpd.scoreboard'

Rebooted the machine. And checked if I could login on FTP.

Guess what... Yes! So this is solved.

My knowledge is limited, but how is it possible that this happened with a clean install?
Is it a bug, or something different?

Anyways, many thanks to websavers for solving this!!

Though it was not a serious issue, especially considering I am the only one using this server, it was annoying, because I had to run those commands every time when I wanted to upload something.
And to be honest; I also think another server of ours has the same issue, but thanks to you, I will be able to solve this!

Thank you once again!

Regards

I'm happy to hear that resolved it!

It seems like yet another log file path difference between Atomic's methodology and Odin's methods. You'll also find those with mod_security audit logging.

In this case, when installing proftpd from the atomic repo for the first time, it probably would have created your proftpd.conf with the proftpd.scoreboard file referenced. Since there was already a proftpd.conf file, installing the atomic binaries would have avoided overwriting it (for good reason -- custom config would be destroyed), but then of course it didn't adjust the config for the expected proftpd.scoreboard file location rather than proftpd/scoreboard.

Interestingly the ProFTPd docs indicate that their preference is on a proftpd.scoreboard file (not simply scoreboard in the proftpd run dir). I have to wonder if Odin should be changing that location to match.

Back