• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 12 Backup Personal FTP Repository Error

LordKurgan

New Pleskian
Hello,

I'm recieving the following error "Transport error: unable to list directory: Curl error: Couldn't connect to server". This happens when I enter ftp settings for the Personal FTP Repository. I'm sure the ftp server is fine. I have it already set on other domains. It connects backs-up just fine. I've noticed two things when connecting to the FTP server it automatically issues PASV and does nothing else. It also connects using the secondary ip which I guessing it should. Micro Update 5 is installed.

I am also having the same error message. Plesk 12 running on Centos 6.5. Tried on the following ftp servers.
1. Filezilla Server (FTP server tested well with filezilla client)
2. Plesk 9 on Centos5 (working well and accepting backup from other servers except plesk 12)

I'm running a similar setup:
1. Filezilla Server running on Windows Server 2112 R2 It was working fine up sometime between microupdate 1-4. I know microupdate corrected the file rotation issue which I did run into. I'm guessing microupdate 5 caused this issue. (3.10.23-xxxx-std-ipv6-64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 18 14:48:24 CET 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
2. Plesk 12 on Centos 6.5 final

I just installed microupdate 6 and I see plesk now connects and no longer issues the PASV command. It just connects and issues no commands at all. After a while connection times out and I receive the same error. "Transport error: unable to list directory: Curl error: Couldn't connect to server"

I can't reproduce your problem. I use the same environment as you wrote.
Maybe it will help:

Try to execute:
Code:
curl --list-only --user user:password [url]ftp://<ip>/[/url]
and send me the result in Private Message.

Also run:
Code:
export DUMP_STORAGE_PASSWD=ftp_password
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/pmm-ras --check-repository --dump-storage=ftp://ftp_user@<ip>/ --use-ftp-passive-mode --debug --verbose
And send me the result of this command.

Also send me the piece of FTP server log during execution "pmm-ras --check-repository".

Maybe this information will make situation more clear.

Last edited:
I can't reproduce your problem. I use the same environment as you wrote.
Maybe it will help:

Try to execute:
Code:
curl --list-only --user user:password [url]ftp://<ip>/[/url]
and send me the result in Private Message.

Also run:
Code:
export DUMP_STORAGE_PASSWD=ftp_password
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/pmm-ras --check-repository --dump-storage=ftp://ftp_user@<ip>/ --use-ftp-passive-mode --debug --verbose
And send me the result of this command.

Also send me the piece of FTP server log during execution "pmm-ras --check-repository".

Maybe this information will make situation more clear.

Same here. I´m able to connect with ftp and list files with curl from the server. The only problem seems plesk panel... I´ve tested with Passive mode On and Off, but none work.

Curl list files:
[root@servidor user]# curl --list-only --user user:pass ftp://ip
home

When I try to set up ftp repository:

ftp2.jpg

And in ftp server i see this:

ftp.jpg

And PMM-RAS output:

ftp3.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure about your setup but my server shouldn't be issuing PASV yet it does no matter what I do. My server is not on the internal network that the FTP is. I happen to be on the same internal network as the FTP. AlbertoGd do you have the same issue/setup?

Looks like problems in some of your network settings. Please check it.
I able to connect to your FTP from hardware server, but I can't connect from virtual server, even if I use passive mode.
Maybe you have closed needed ports for FTP in passive mode or your Firewall settings block connections.

Hi vkolotov,

Finally, after some tcpdumps, I found the reason why I could list files, but plesk couldn´t connect.

When you see traces, plesk connects to FTP, but make some tests to check all is OK. One of this checks is to send a SYN packet to the Passive Port given by FTP in Entering Passive Mode packet. When you list files with curl, you don´t test if you can reach to passive port. You enter in passive mode, but you just send the list command to port 21. You don´t use passive port.

But now the tricky. It happens with some FTP servers, like mine, that are not clever: you configure default passive ports (55536-55539), but then in Entering Passive Mode packet, offers a port outside this range, normally a port like 550XX (55002, 55003, 55004,...).

So the solution was simple: set passive port range from 55000-55539 (and in my case, nat in router from 55000-55539 to my ftp server, and port 20-21, obviously).

So no plesk error, ftp passive problem ;)

Back