• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 12: Dovecot Mail subscription File not created

Marcwa19197

New Pleskian
Hello,

I'm a new Plesk 12 admin and have the following questions after searching the whole internet.

if i create a new mailaccount in the power-user panel and i dont log in into the webmailer, so the "subscription" file is not created.

that means there is no way to sent emails with the new created account with external mail clients (Thunderbird), because there is no "sent" or "drafts" folder.

the problem disappears, if i log into the webmailer after creating a new mailaccount.

is there any other way to fix this bug? i want plesk 12 to create the "standard" folders (Trash, Drafts, Sent, Spam) automatically.

something to the used system:

- Ubuntu 14.04 Server
- Plesk 12.0.18
- IMAP/POP3 Server: dovecot
- SMTP Server: postfix

if more information is needed please ask me.. (logfiles are not showing anything..)

regards

Hi,

Okay i didn't know that, thank you.

I tried the script described in the thread but it doesent seems to work.. (But it writes logfiles).
the problem is, that the command "maildirmake" doesnt exist..

Any Ideas?

regards

Last edited:
Hi Marcwa19197,

"maildirmake" is mostly a symlink and depends on your operating system configuration for your mail - server. Try to locate the binary with "locate maildirmake" and create a symlink to it, or change the script with the complete path. The binary might be named "maildirmake.courier" or "maildirmake.postfix" or "maildirmake.dovecot" or anything similar to your configuration.
If you don't find the binary on your system, please provide informations about your operating system and the email - configuration you are using, so that we might be able to help with further suggestions.

Hi,

We are using the following system:

- Ubuntu 14.04
- Dovecot 2.2.12 with Postfix 2.11.0
- Plesk 12.0.18

The "maildirmake" binary does not exist. i have no idea which package provides this binary in ubuntu 14.04.

Hi Marcwa19197,

on Ubuntu 14.04 this binary is included in the package "courier-base", "maildrop" and "qmail". You could always try "command --help" ( "maildirmake --help" ), to get such informations. ^^

Hi,
I installed the "maildrop" package, now maildirmake works.
The folders for each new mailbox is created now.

i had to do following changes to the script descriped in http://talk.plesk.com/threads/autom...r-when-mailbox-is-created.282771/#post-679507

- thunderbird does not automatically subscribe to the new created folders, so i fixxed this by adding a new line to the script which creates the "subscriptions" file.
- changed the user from root to popuser in the plesk event manager. (otherwise thunderbird is not able to access the folders)

Code:
#!/bin/bash

mail=${NEW_MAILNAME}
domain=${mail##*@}
name=${mail%@*}

echo "--------------" >> /tmp/event_handler.log

/bin/date >> /tmp/event_handler.log # information on the event date and time

/usr/bin/id >> /tmp/event_handler.log # information on the user, on behalf of which the script was executed (to ensure control)

echo "mail account created" >> /tmp/event_handler.log # information on the created email account

echo "mailbox name: ${NEW_MAILNAME}" >> /tmp/event_handler.log

echo "creating Maildir folders - sent, drafts, trash" >> /tmp/event_handler.log
maildirmake -f Sent /var/qmail/mailnames/$domain/$name/Maildir
maildirmake -f Drafts /var/qmail/mailnames/$domain/$name/Maildir
maildirmake -f Spam /var/qmail/mailnames/$domain/$name/Maildir
maildirmake -f Trash /var/qmail/mailnames/$domain/$name/Maildir
echo -e "Sent\nDrafts\nSpam\nTrash" >> /var/qmail/mailnames/$domain/$name/Maildir/subscriptions

echo "--------------" >> /tmp/event_handler.log

the next problem i have is the following:
- if i try to sent an email with thunderbird, it hangs on "copying message to Sent folder". (But the Mail arrives at destination address)

the only difference to an working mailserver with dovecot and postfix are the following in the client:

working mailserver thunderbird - folder subscriptions:
hulh6osf.png

"INBOX" folder is greyed out, rest is subscriped, icons are there.

not working mailserver thunderbird - folder subscriptions:
b3xgvoeg.png

"INBOX" folder not greyed out,.. icons are not there.

do you have any idea how to fix that?
thanks for you help, UFHH01

Last edited:
Okay, thanks :)

i tried the following:
- create a new e-mail account and synced the emails from the other server with the "imapsync" program, now the folders have icons and everthing is going right..

but i have no idea which file differs from the other server running dovecot and postfix in the same version, but without plesk..

Back