• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

[Plesk 9] Automatically suspending domains due to exceeded disk usage

G

gonz@

Hi,

I couldn't find a Plesk 9 forum so I'm posting here. My provider (a Parallels Partner) has unfortunately automatically upgraded my VPS to Plesk 9. I wish this happened further down the track when it was considered stable, but it's a bit late now (not sure if Plesk 9 can be downgraded back to 8).

Anyway, the biggest problem I'm facing is that when Plesk runs the Daily Maintenance Script, any domains that exceed their quotas are being suspended. This has caused me many angry clients, understandably, and I couldn't find anything in the Plesk "Settings" page to turn this auto-suspend **** off.

So, anyone know why this happens? The guilty script in question is:

/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/DailyMaintainance/script.php

Thanks
Gonzalo

Never mind, it turns out Plesk 9 has something called the "Overuse Policy" which is configured in "Resource Usage" for each client. Careful with this as you might upgrade from Plesk 8.x and it defaults to "Overuse is not allowed", which causes the auto-suspend to be activated if any domains exceed their limits.

I have had the same problem (and lots of others after upgrading). However, the Plesk Panels has a sidenote under 'Overuse is not allowed', that says something like 'Overuse policy tells Plesk Panel what to do when resources are ovused."

I cannot find the settings for this overuse policy anywhere. Where can I find it?

You edit the overuse policy in the client templates (for new clients that you add to the system) and the client/domain limits.

Is there a way to disable the overuse policy for all clients/domains as a batch, I can't go to each domain one by one and do it, that's alot of work.

Thanks,
Ara

Where is it?

Where is the overuse settings? I realize they are in the domain templates for setting up new accounts, but what about existing accounts. Is there no way to modify the settings for existing accounts anymore?

What would be really great is if there were a way to take an existing client or domain and have it start using the settings of an existing template. Not just for creating new ones but for existing.

It seems parallels left out the ability to modify clients or domains. It appears that the only way is to back up the data, delete the domain, recreate it, then put the data back.

run the following sql statement on PSA database:

update dom_param set val = 'false' where param = 'OveruseBlock';

I will wait til swsoft makes the fix, but my problem now is no statistics work nor on disk use and so on.
webalizer and AWstat dont work eighter, but i have bought support though for 20 accidents

web-vision: Thanks for saving me 10 minutes there =) =). I've had two domains hit this problem already -- very frustrating that PLESK added this feature with the default being 'ON' without providing a way to set a server-wide policy or update for multiple domains...

It is possible to change the overuse policy state for the all existing domains in one step.

Go to domains - select all - click change - find the over use policy setting, change it - save

I hope it will help... ;)

Hello, i`m do this:

update cl_param set val = 'false' where param = 'OveruseBlock';

Now clients ARE NOT blocking.

But.... They can use much more disk space -- its okay for me.
But.... They can use some stuff, what i do not allowe to use!!!! (Like databases, if i set it to 0).

How we can fix it without suspending domain or client?
Could helps enabling overuse only for client, but not for domain?

Sucks.... if overuse is enabled, clients also can create more domains, than we allowed in restrictions.....

Hello, i`m do this:

update cl_param set val = 'false' where param = 'OveruseBlock';

Now clients ARE NOT blocking.

But.... They can use much more disk space -- its okay for me.
But.... They can use some stuff, what i do not allowe to use!!!! (Like databases, if i set it to 0).

How we can fix it without suspending domain or client?
Could helps enabling overuse only for client, but not for domain?

Issue for not allowing to use more databases and etc is to do NOT allow overuse for domains (and sets all params to unlimited), but allow overuse for client. But this works for me only when i`m updates to Plesk 9.0.1 (in 9.0.0 i have an mysql error when limit is overused)

But still no luck with overusing for blocking domain creation. Maybe its right to disable suspending in actual script.

But still no luck with overusing for blocking domain creation. Maybe its right to disable suspending in actual script.

I bumped to same problem, but I believe I found a simple sollution to this that is supported by Plesk 9.

If you want to limit all the other resource creation (domains, e-mail addresses etc.) from client, except still allow overuse of disk space and/or bandwith you can do this as follows:

1. In domain templates (in the spesific template to use) in "Overuse policy" select "overuse is not allowed".

2. After this there appears a new selection in limits part below: in Disk Space and Bandwith select "Unlimited" but at the same time specify the limits you want to get notified after the "notify upon reaching" part.

With this kind of configuration the limits should work in Plesk 9.x just like in previous versions of Plesk: overuse is not allowed for the user creatable resources but the exceeding of the disk space and/or bandwith won't get user account/domain suspended, but instead it gets only notified.

And also you can specify (to make sure that disk space isn't exeeded much) the hard quota limit lower below in the domain template. I have tend to set it to be about +10% larger than actual limit (so that if the user has like 500 MB limit of disk space, I have set hard quota to be 550 MB, etc.) This how the disk space limit can be temporarely exceeded but not ever more than 10%.

Also it seems that Plesk 9 notifications template supports the old Plesk 8.x <disk_space_limit>, <disk_usage>, <traffic_limit> and <traffic> variables if you want it to notify only of these exceeding.

But still I haven't found a sollution how to change these settings after upgrading the Plesk 9 from older 8.

Could somebody possibly provide MySQL code how to affect this change to everybody's accounts? (actually Parallels should have build the upgrade so that it sets the previous limits to these "notify upon reaching" fields instead of actual limits, but I guess they didn't thought it trough really.. ;)

I bumped to same problem, but I believe I found a simple sollution to this that is supported by Plesk 9.

If you want to limit all the other resource creation (domains, e-mail addresses etc.) from client, except still allow overuse of disk space and/or bandwith you can do this as follows:

1. In domain templates (in the spesific template to use) in "Overuse policy" select "overuse is not allowed".

2. After this there appears a new selection in limits part below: in Disk Space and Bandwith select "Unlimited" but at the same time specify the limits you want to get notified after the "notify upon reaching" part.

Its okay, if you using one domain per client.
In plesk 8.X i have tariffs, what have 2 or more domains per client, and limits must be set for client...

Suspending options is good, but i think it must be 3 options:
1. Notify and dont suspend clients or domains if it overusing, and don`t block resource overusing (we have it - option overuse allowed).
2. Notify and dont suspend clients or domains if it overusing, but NOT ALLOW TO OVERUSE (we do not have it).
3. Suspend clients or domains if it overuse.

Just don`t want to suspend.... Its so simple, but parallels support still don`t give me an right answer....

Its okay, if you using one domain per client. In plesk 8.X i have tariffs, what have 2 or more domains per client, and limits must be set for client...

I think this has nothing to do with the issue do you have single or several domains configured per single user account. Nothing has actually changed from Plesk 8.x, but they're set little bit differently - plus you can allow user to exceed all the limitations (which on my humble opionion has no realistic use for nobody).

The similar limits are available to set both - client templates and domain templates - so you can set disk space and bandwith in both like "unlimited" and setting the amount you want to use in "notify upon reaching" part.

Suspending options is good, but i think it must be 3 options:
1. Notify and dont suspend clients or domains if it overusing, and don`t block resource overusing (we have it - option overuse allowed).
2. Notify and dont suspend clients or domains if it overusing, but NOT ALLOW TO OVERUSE (we do not have it).
3. Suspend clients or domains if it overuse.

I think you can do exactly all the options 1-3 like you described with the current Plesk 9.x configuration, by following the instructions I gave on my previous post.

But the option 2 you just described is not possible at all. How in your logic user could overuse the limits and not get suspended if he/her is not allowed to overuse and cannot even get suspended by this? :D

Anyways, I think all the realistic options are available there. You can set wether:

A) To allow to overuse everything and not to get suspended by this (for this condiguration I cannot see any realistic usage, because its just the same to set the user limits to "unlimited" then.)

B) You can disallow overusing (disallowing the creation of extra databases and e-mail addresses) and causing the overusage of disk space and/or bandwith to get clients account suspended (I think this was very requested feature from the previous Plesk versions, but IMHO this has no realistic usage, as the suspension of overused disk space and/or bandwith is just an pain in your and your clients ***.

C) This is the combination of B and A and the feature that is the most realistic - you need to set the settings as in B but leave the disk space and bandwith limits to unlimited, and instead of this hard limit use the limit of "notify upon reaching".

This how the user is not allowed the create more resources (like databases, email addresses) more than is allowed, but at the same time the overusage of disk space and/or bandwith won't get user account and/or domain suspended, but instead of only notified witht the message you can set - like "Your account and/or domain has exceedid the disk space and/or bandwith limits - please buy some more resources" or something like that.

And if you're concerned about the disk space user can consume if disk space limit is set to "unlimited" you can still define so called hard quota in the settings that won't allow certain amount to get overused. I have used to set this to be something like +10% of the real ment limit (So user cannot upload more than 550 MB of files to webspace that is set to be 500 MB, but gets notified just after overusing the 500 MB).

There is no also possible to set this kind of "soft" and "hard" limit to bandwith too by using some percentage larger hard limit for bandwith as follows:

- Let's say that you have provided 20 GB of bandwith to you user account / or domain account whatever.

- You want so that after reaching the 20 GB bandwith limit the user gets notified but the client won't get suspended until the - lets say - 30 GB has been reached

So do as follows:

- Set the bandwith limit to 30 GB and set the "Notify upon reaching" limit to 20 GB.

Simple as that :)

However I use for my clients as following configuration:

- On Client template all the limits are unlimited (so that as many domains/web hosting packages as needed can be configured to single user account)
- User creation of domains is not allowed (you can set this by unclicking the setting in the template)
- on Domain template there are selected "Do not allow to overuse", and then all the limits for database amounts, e-mail box amounts etc are set plus disk space and bandwith are set to unlimited and getting notified if the certain amounts gets exceeded (like 500 MB of webspace and 20 GB of bandwith.)

Plus I have set hard quota to be +10% of the disk limit I want to use, so that disk space can be exceeded temporarely, but no more than 10% (and user will get immediately notified when exceeding).

Just don`t want to suspend.... Its so simple, but parallels support still don`t give me an right answer....

I don't understand either what do you want. Because in real world there are just two options:

1. Suspend the client when overusing the bandwith...
2. ..or wont suspend and letting him continue overusing

There is no option "Don't suspend and allow continuing". Where in the heck the bandwith would be taken then? :D

Its normally way to unlimited disk quota for clients, and sets overuse not allowed. So, as you tell me, users can`t create more databases, subdomains, domains...

I don`t read your post carefully.

Thanks for advice.

In this case, i dont like only view of clients information.
Now they are don`t looks like overused of disk quota.
But its okay for me, thanks :)

If you open up the domain, and then click on 'Resource Usage' under 'Statistics', you'll get all the settings you(?) could ever want.

However, it only allows you to email the owner of the domain, and not the server administrator and/or the reseller of that domain. Furthermore, it only allows you to email them, when you've got 'Overuse is allowed' checked, and you additionally have 'Notify the domain owner about reaching the resource limit' checked.

However, that being said, if you have 'Overuse is not allowed' checked, you can additionally specify at what limit (while they're approaching their built in limit), that they should be warned that they're close to their limit.

If you open up the domain, and then click on 'Resource Usage' under 'Statistics', you'll get all the settings you(?) could ever want.

However, it only allows you to email the owner of the domain, and not the server administrator and/or the reseller of that domain. Furthermore, it only allows you to email them, when you've got 'Overuse is allowed' checked, and you additionally have 'Notify the domain owner about reaching the resource limit' checked.

However, that being said, if you have 'Overuse is not allowed' checked, you can additionally specify at what limit (while they're approaching their built in limit), that they should be warned that they're close to their limit.

What is the point of your response? First of all, this topic is over 6 months old and nothing has still changed to Plesk, even the version 9.2.2 has been published.

Secondly, you're missing the whole point/problem here. The mentioned problem is that in Plesk the statistics are just messed because you cannot use any "hard limits" that are shown in statistics bars (like how much of the bandwith from the actual limit has been used) but these has to be set to "unlimited" if you don't want angry customers with automatically closed websites after overusage.

This is because Plesk 9 doesn't still allow setting enough options what do do when limits are overused. Now theres only two choises:

1) allow overusage (including allow users to create as many as mysql databases, mailboxes or any other resources imaginable withouth any limits which suites badly for the hosts that want to offer different kinds of web hosting packages with pre-set amount of resources).

OR

2) don't allow overusage (which means that if you have set limit of disk space or bandwith and these are exdeeded, Plesk automatically suspends the domain / client account).

Because we dont want to use option 1 (to allow our clients freely create whatever they want) we need to use option 2. However, option 2 makes our customer very angry if their domains get suspended because of the overusage, so we had to set all the domains disk space and bandwith limit to "unlimited".

The problem - of course - is now that all the statistics are messed because there are no limits of bandwith and/or disk space limit anymore. And this makes it very hard to follow which of the users are using how many bandwith and disk space as they cannot be listed in statistics with informing progress bars.

(And this has no relation weather is the "notify user when the limits are exceeded" is checked or not. The limit that is shown in the statistics is only the hard limit, not this "soft limit" that is defined in the "notify user" part.)

I think the only proper way to solve this problem is that Parallels will add an extra option to Plesk where admin should be able to define what Plesk does when the set bandwith limit / disk space limit is exceeded (and not only close the account, like Plesk now does.)

There should be options like "do nothing" and "forward the domain to specific "This account has been closed page" to www..."

I have - and I have heard that many other users have been requested this option to be added to Plesk from Parallels, as its one of the major flaws when moving from Plesk 8.x to 9.x but - suprisingly - nothing has yet happened.

Overuse Policy Disabling all domains automatic

Hello

We have just upgraded from Plesk 8.6 to Plesk 9

We use Plesk Control Panel as mail server.

Problem we are experiencing is that the domains are disabled automatically when their limits are exceeded.

What is the best solution to this problem?

Manually go set overuse policy to allow on all domains individually?

Or is there a global setting which can allow or modify overuse policy on the related domains?

Please advise.

Thank you

frozensphere