• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk and Mail Enable

chartman

Basic Pleskian
Greetings:

I am using a Plesk 7.5 for windows on a 2003 box. It came with MailEnable.

Q1 - I am assuming that it comes with the "standard" version of MailEnable. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Q2 - MailEnable has three versions, standard, pro and enterprise. Does anyone know if you can "upgrade" MailEnable on a plesk box (without hosing the box of course) to one of these versions?

Q3 - If upgrading is possible, will it work with all the domains that are on the box and already setup using the standard version?

Thanks

Be carefull!

A1 - Yes it is.

A2 - I started with Plesk 7.5.1, then upgraded to 7.5.2, to 7.5.3 (here I had should stop!!) and to 7.5.4. Here were started all my problems!! The server is unstable, DNS problems which delivered also to Mail Enable. I decided to upgrade Mail Enable since I read in the forum it was possible. After upgrading to Mail Enable 1.9, webmail and control panel didn't work more. I find out that Mail Enable setups port 8425 instead of 9998. Now this works but I must restart the server each day, if not, the SF queue sudenly hangs, as far as I could see it's spamassasin issue since I can see memfilter.exe errors on windows events log. I had learned from this that when you install Plesk, it uses many added free programs, and then it setups each of them they way it needs to work. Now I'm waiting for version 7.5.5 and pray that it works well more than 24 hours!

A3 - Mail Enable detects all the mailboxes so for sure it will work, but I think that Plesk has special setup for the version of Mail Enable that comes with it, so upgrading to a complete different version would be very risky! Maybe if you could test it on a test server then you could see how much problems you'll get!
When I had made some changes directly on a mail box inside Mail Enable, it was not reflected on Plesk Panel, so I may think that Plesk uses an own db, so if I'm wright there could be some incompatibilities between Plesk and pro/enterprise version of Mail Enable.

Hope I could give you some light on this!

chartman
All should be ok.

EnigmaBCN
I think that you should contact support team. I think that they'll help you.

As I know Plesk 7.5.5 will have MailEnable 1.9

A little addition.
Plesk 7.5 does not work with MailEnable enterprise edition. It differs significantly from STD and PRO versions.

The only thing I upgraded with mail enable was from 1.54 to 1.6 and everything seems fine so far.

The server is running SP1 as well.

But I had issues upgrading plesk 7.5.0 to 7.5.2 (i think was the upgrade we did awhile ago) and the plesk install still tweaked the mailbox directories. I am hoping that it does not do this again when I decide to upgrade from 7.5.2 to 7.5.4.

I would do a full clean install and restore from backup but I am getting some errors that plesk will have to log into the box to fix (I am not a database guru yet).

What I found that was broken in 7.5.2 on a server I am running is the subdomain funtion is not working (nasty database errors that mention log=0 and *@domainname.com for personal spamassassin settings is not working (am I missing something with spamassassin? I really think this is a plesk software issue in 7.5.2). I tested both of these on another box running 7.5.4 and it is working. There maybe more small bugs but I cannot think of any others right now.

But I will have a 7.5.2 server installed before this upgrade with the backup ready to go on it if need be.

I was looking into Enterprise edition of mailenable to use the functionality of mssql or mysql for theuser accounts to be in a database but I see from reading here it will not work. I have a test server I will install the 90 day trial of mailenable enterprise to see what it fubars on my server anyway :)

I will post somewhere in this forum about my upgrade of everything and my findings.

Oh one more thing, I added one of these servers to a active directory domain with no issues so far. I am not sure if that was recommended or not but its easier to mange the win2003 servers this way as others will most likely agree (especially for the infamous MS patch Tuesdays).

It would be a good thing to know about Plesk and ME ent.
As for Plesk and AD I should say that Plesk server can not be Domain controller. If you just added it to AD it will be work but you should be accurate with policies in AD.

i have two plesk servers joined on seperate AD networks(and no they are not domain controllers). no worries with the policies yet (they are not too strict)

has anyone found out about mailenable Enterprise w/ plesk yet? i will open a ticket and post their reply to it here.

just a fyi, i am running Plesk 7.5.5 and i just upgraded mailenable again from 1.6 to 1.7. I let it install in the default folder for mail servers on the c drive for the program files. It moved the mail boxes config within in the program from my data partion to the default on the c drive. I then ran the plesk reconfigure for email only and I was back up and running.

I must not have been paying attention becuase I remember it asking in previous versions where you want to install for the data within the mailenable install. oh well i guess i should get more sleep...

Back