• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk Backup / Restore Survey

Sergey L

CTO Plesk
Staff member
Hello,

We are looking for how to make Backup / Restore tools of Plesk better match typical usage scenarios. We will appreciate if you could fill this short survey.

If you would like to share more thoughts, just post them here and include your name in the survey.

Looking forward for your feedback.
Thank you

For me you've over-complicated the backup/restore stuff.

In Plesk 8.6 it just worked with little to no issues (certainly in comparison to later versions), Plesk 9 made it more complex and I still don't understand the conflicts questions, nor do I get consistent or reliable behaviour from the restore process, I can see what were you trying to do and I can see the benefits of it, but its now too confusing and inconsistent.

Every time you ask me to do a survey (Parallels I mean) I put on the survey that features are great and that I like the features that are being introduced into Plesk, but that it is much more important to me that things work and that they don't fail (well I always put fix bugs before introducing new features same thing, but you might go check my survey responses!).

I stand by that, and its relevant here, I think the majority of people on these forums are here because they have had issues, or they expect to have issues, and they would happily swap functionality for reliability. If I have to do each backup/restore in a certain way, rather than having flexibility then I'm happy with that so long as I know that I can rely on the backup/restore process.

We are (self made) lucky though, on physical servers we also run r1soft CDP so we can restore granularly through that and don't need Plesk server backups, we offer Plesk backup functionality for customers because we don't provide them with access to CDP and tell them that it is primarily a means of insuring against changes and application upgrades. On Virtuozzo we run CDP and the Virtuozzo backups both of which give us granular restore outside of Plesk itself.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Paul, thanks a lot for this feedback. The goal of this survey is exactly to validate whether there would be a room to be simpler and thus more reliable.

Regards

Schedule Backups will not run - plesk 10.4.4

Schedule Backups will not run - plesk 10.4.4

I have 2 servers upgraded to plesk 10.4.4 so that ssl issues could be resolved.

Now scheduled backups will not run. I have 55 domains on 2 servers so manual backups are very difficult.

I cannot find any comments anywhere on this issue.

Parallel.....please respond to this.......These servers are at godaddy.....they told me they have had request into
you for resolution and they are getting no response.

REPLY...........PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me you've over-complicated the backup/restore stuff.
(...)

I stand by that, and its relevant here, I think the majority of people on these forums are here because they have had issues, or they expect to have issues, and they would happily swap functionality for reliability. If I have to do each backup/restore in a certain way, rather than having flexibility then I'm happy with that so long as I know that I can rely on the backup/restore process.

Couldn't have put this in better words. It's a right thing focusing on the performance of the server during the backup process, but it's 10k times more important that the output is a reliable backup copy. For example I wouldn't mind affecting the server's performance even more if a recovery test had to be performed to ensure that the archive is consistent - after all, it's just a matter of scheduling the backup at the right time.

Had you experienced cases when backup won't be able to restore?

No, thank God! But since the backup is large and relying on a remote FTP archive, it would be nice to be completely sure that it's consistent and integer. MD5 and tar testing, whatever it takes, it's an option for me.

I'm wondering about file based backup - without compression to one archive. Let it be slow automatic download of whole server contents to safe location - this will eliminate problem with less than 50% free space.

what i would like for plesk:

- full/differential/incremental options. ofc with a working restore system
- add more options for the personal repository, like amazon s3 for example

Back