• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question Plesk DNS Server

DieterWerner

Regular Pleskian
Could someone please explain the practical sense (advantage) of the Plesk DNS server to me?
Consider that I'm a dork - so please explain it as simple as you can.

Last edited:
Internet traffic is divided into packets. Each packet gets an address sticker that tells the network where to deliver the packet to. That address is the IP address. However, users don't want to remember IP addresses, but names. For example domain names. So they type a domain name into their browser. The purpose of DNS is to translate these domain names into IP addresses, so that the packets can be sent over the network through the server and from the server back to the browser.

In your Plesk DNS server you can create A-records, that translate a name into an IP address. Thus you tell other systems, where to send the packets to when someone enters a domain name instead of an IP address. You can also create CNAMES, that's a kind of alias (pseudonym) for a name. And you can create MX records, by which you tell other systems where to send mails to. There are several other types of nameserver records, like TXT, SRV, AAAA (for IPv6) to do a lot more magic.

I'm impressed Peter - but sorry, that doesn't answer my question
I understood that you wanted to know what practical use a DNS server has, and have answered that question. Could you please re-phrase the question so that others and me understand better what exactly you would like to know?

This sounds more like a general question about using built-in DNS management with control panels -

As it pertains to Plesk, Plesk DNS offers relatively tight integration with the Plesk ecosystem for business models that use it (for basic hosting environments it's a quick and no-cost way to offer DNS within the control panel) however running DNS on the same instance as a Plesk server may not be a best practice as an outage, even if it wasn't specific to the DNS service itself, could stop serving requests for non-Plesk services regardless of their location.

Now Mr. Plesk thought of those use cases and has support for third party DNS services as documented here.

Back